| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
flea Member

Joined: 25 Jul 2008 Posts: 1246 Location: Raymond WA
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:13 am Post subject: |
|
|
You never know, guy could be sitting there right now saying 'man I miss that car'
I sometimes wonder what happened to my first car. 1978 Subaru wagon. I'm sure it got crushed long ago, but I still wonder. _________________ Killing mailboxes since 2009 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
IROCDave Member
Joined: 16 Jan 2010 Posts: 957 Location: Snohomish WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:49 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I am old enough to remember when the mid eighties 3rd gens came out. I didnt care for them all that much, 70 - 73 camaros where what I was planning to buy when I turned 16. That year was 1986. I wanted to put an independant rear end out of a Jag in my dream 2nd gen along with a Muncie 4 speed, 12 bolt diff, wide BBS wheels, side dump exhaust, cage and 4 wheel disc brakes. Think pro touring. Alas, never did get their but did have a couple of cars of that vintage.
3rd gens shook things up when they came out. What is ironic is that the Taurus came about around the same time along with the Caravan. All were sales hits, yet the styling was so different.
GM was really into the wedge shape back then, think C4 corvette. Rubix cube and gellie beans influenced ford during the early - mid eighties and Dodge was rebadging Mitsubishis as muscle cars.
My first wifes dad bought her an 87 IROC when she was a sophmore in highschool. He paid 22K for it, black with tan interior, 305, AT and loaded cloth interior. The dealers couldnt keep them on the lots and were getting sticker prices. At the same time you could buy a stripped LX 5.0 Mustang with a 5 speed. It was quicker, but handled like a dump truck and the interior was garbage even for that time.
3rd gens were not cheap cars back in the day. I meet alot of people that are closer to 50 than me at car shows. They always say the same thing, they had a similar car when they were in their early 20's and wish they still had it.
Enjoy your car. Great cars are the ones that you enjoy driving. They are also the same car that you will hate also  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:44 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| IROCDave wrote: | | That year was 1986. |
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
RoosterC Member

Joined: 24 Feb 2011 Posts: 43 Location: Federal Way, WA
1988 Chevrolet Camaro
|
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:56 am Post subject: |
|
|
My car was owned by an old lady who never shifted the car out of D or OD. When I shifted it into 1st during my test drive she almost had a heart attack and the car died I bought the car from her the following week and drove away while she watched me go like I was taking her child away. It's been over a year now and she still contacts me to see how the Camaro and I are doing. I love my car to death even though it's got 2.7 liters of fury underneath the hood that barely break loose when it's wet outside  _________________ Sink or Swm |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
turbo_jimi Member

Joined: 23 Feb 2004 Posts: 1206 Location: Tacoma
1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:42 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | | IROCDave wrote: | | That year was 1986. |
 |
1986...I was 13, just moved to Germany and my neighbor (American) just bought a brand new Firebird. I can't remember the trim package but regardless, I thought it was BAD A$$! Especially when she would give me rides to different places in it. (OK guys, nothing else happened...she was a 30-something year old black woman, but with great taste in cars!)  _________________
1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
flea Member

Joined: 25 Jul 2008 Posts: 1246 Location: Raymond WA
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:40 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Turbo jimi the cougar hunter.  _________________ Killing mailboxes since 2009 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
turbo_jimi Member

Joined: 23 Feb 2004 Posts: 1206 Location: Tacoma
1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:55 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I started cougar hunting a few years later.  _________________
1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Quasi-Traction "I have petals"

Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 3873 Location: stumptown
1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
|
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:43 pm Post subject: |
|
|
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:24 pm Post subject: |
|
|
30 something? That's it?
You fail for not groping the experiance.  _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
RSFreak The other "John"

Joined: 23 Jan 2004 Posts: 2946 Location: Renton
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:56 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| flea wrote: | Turbo jimi the cougar hunter.  |
Well, his wife is ten years older than him...  _________________ '86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
turbo_jimi Member

Joined: 23 Feb 2004 Posts: 1206 Location: Tacoma
1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:14 pm Post subject: |
|
|
9 1/2 _________________
1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
RSFreak The other "John"

Joined: 23 Jan 2004 Posts: 2946 Location: Renton
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:53 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Still qualifies as a cougar!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|