Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This isn't supposed to be two pieces, is it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthetic oil wasnt 6.50 a quart in 2005.

Another thing that went south on that car were the seals on the powered sunroof. After 3 attempts Bellevue BMW claimed to not be able to duplicate the leak. They also gave my wife a bunch of crap for bringing the car in for a problem and not having them do all of the services on it. The first two times it was in the shop for the leak they gave her a loaner car, which was paid for by BMW NA. When she tried to schedule the 3rd visit to repair the leak they told her she would have to wait 2 motnhs until they had a loaner availible. When Lisa told me this I called the POS servise writer and reminded him that good dealers would pull a used vehicle out of the lot to loan to valued customers and or PITA customers. I also told him that if they dont fix the Fing problem this time guess which one I am? I picked the car up on the third attempt ( Friday night) to repair a major water leak and guess what? They claimed they couldnt get it to leak again. It was raining, so I pulled the car from under the canopy and parked it in the middle of the servise isle. It miraculously started dumping water on the floor, just as it had every time it was rained on. I started yelling at the servise writer. I dont remember everything that was said. He threatened to call the police, I threatened to kick his ass etc. After the dust settled, they kept the car and replaced the sunroof. The bill for it was 3800.00 dollars. I asked why it cost so much and was told that BMW doesnt replace individual parts, you have to buy assemblies.

Maybe it's just sour grapes on my part due to Bellevu BMW, but I was not impressed one iota by the reliabilty of the car or the service. I do have to say the sales staff was fantastic when we purchased the car though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"


Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 3873
Location: stumptown

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch LH in that thing? or K-jet? (or am I way off?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IROCDave wrote:
Synthetic oil wasnt 6.50 a quart in 2005.

Another thing that went south on that car were the seals on the powered sunroof. After 3 attempts Bellevue BMW claimed to not be able to duplicate the leak. They also gave my wife a bunch of crap for bringing the car in for a problem and not having them do all of the services on it. The first two times it was in the shop for the leak they gave her a loaner car, which was paid for by BMW NA. When she tried to schedule the 3rd visit to repair the leak they told her she would have to wait 2 motnhs until they had a loaner availible. When Lisa told me this I called the POS servise writer and reminded him that good dealers would pull a used vehicle out of the lot to loan to valued customers and or PITA customers. I also told him that if they dont fix the Fing problem this time guess which one I am? I picked the car up on the third attempt ( Friday night) to repair a major water leak and guess what? They claimed they couldnt get it to leak again. It was raining, so I pulled the car from under the canopy and parked it in the middle of the servise isle. It miraculously started dumping water on the floor, just as it had every time it was rained on. I started yelling at the servise writer. I dont remember everything that was said. He threatened to call the police, I threatened to kick his ass etc. After the dust settled, they kept the car and replaced the sunroof. The bill for it was 3800.00 dollars. I asked why it cost so much and was told that BMW doesnt replace individual parts, you have to buy assemblies.

Maybe it's just sour grapes on my part due to Bellevu BMW, but I was not impressed one iota by the reliabilty of the car or the service. I do have to say the sales staff was fantastic when we purchased the car though.


Shocked Wow. Thankfully I won't have to deal with a BMW dealer. My buddy that works porsche parts also has a BMW dealer in their network and I can get at cost parts from him. And he's not a douche! Laughing

Quasi-Traction wrote:
Bosch LH in that thing? or K-jet? (or am I way off?)


Que? Shrug It's not their motronic or whatever the junk they had later that everyone wants.

I haven't even looked under the hood since the other day when one of the guys on the bmw shipped out the h20 pump pulley no questions asked. Unfortunately it didn't get here today so I guess I have to wait until next week. Sad Does priority mail deliver on Saturdays?

_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Does priority mail deliver on Saturdays?


They should.

Do you have tracking on it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'll probably bug him tonight and see if he grabbed a number.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear your trouble dave. Guess thats why u buy old vehicles that i maintain, to avoid those types of problems.

If its an 84 325e, then its the motronic 1.0 i believe. No data logging. No clue what is on the early 318. You have to use a multi meter to troubleshoot. Mine has been running great, no sunroom leaks, and part shops are everywhere for e30 stuff. Pretty soon you will want to do a coil over kit and upgrade to IS intake Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue89 wrote:
If its an 84 325e, then its the motronic 1.0 i believe. No data logging. No clue what is on the early 318. You have to use a multi meter to troubleshoot. Mine has been running great, no sunroom leaks, and part shops are everywhere for e30 stuff. Pretty soon you will want to do a coil over kit and upgrade to IS intake Wink


Laughing If by IS intake, you mean LSx swap then yes, yes I do.

Parts seem crazy cheap for this thing so far. Aside from lights. Which sucks because I'm a lighting...what's a nice word for whore? Crap...used it anyways. Oh well. I've already almost bought three different sets of projectors for this thing and I haven't driven it more than on and off the trailer. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to do the facelift headlight conversion??? I want to. They look way sexy.

I am still trying to find the front bumper plastic and lower spoiler. If you find any on your searches, let me know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

facelift? I'll be getting rid of the sealed beams ASAP. Well, as soon as it's running. Laughing

I actually don't mind the bumpers. Yes the newer ones look better but I'll be content with a bumper tuck and some Back-to-black.

What forums are good for these things? I've been perusing r3vlimited.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, the elipsoid headlights fit in an un-face lifted car. So that would get rid of the seal beams.

R3imited is the best. I post on bimmerfest but there are only a few good people on there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the newer pulley...and it doesn't work. Somethings funky about this motor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a picture of anything let me know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Travis for the shots. I got it back together with new belts and such and it runs pretty damn good! The pulleys are still just BARELY contacting so on cold start up I get a high pitched tinging noise for a minute. And the coolant light is on for some reason.

I didn't put the fan or shroud back on and I'm debating not doing it. I hate clutch fans and its got the electric pusher in front. Thoughts? I may convert to efan later but it's not hot enough right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very hard to get all the air out of the coolant system on those cars. Harder on the four-bangers.

Electric pusher does very little work. Swap in an electric puller or just run the clutch fan.

My two cents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I threw the clutch fan back on. I'm not sure if the temp gauge is even working correctly. As soon as the car gets warm is stays right at mid-level no matter what I do. WOT, sitting in traffic or whatever. I'm going to look around for a efan that's close to that size.

A few other things I need to take care of. Found out the "up" portion of the window switch doesn't work. Laughing As well as the speedo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW must have been following the Ford theory of gauge "usefulness." Laughing

Want a thirdgen single fan for it? I have one in my shop that no one seems to want.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedo is electric and fed from the ECM. Probably the ground for the dash. I have a link somewhere for an e30 electrical manual... it's on my other users favorites. I'll post it later.

The front pusher is for the air conditioning only. Wire it up to the ignition and it works great if you want to run without the mechanical fan. My fan is clutch as well and I have a huge south african radiator. HUGE.

Coolant light? Like the low coolant light? Go check the surge tank level sensor. It needs to be almost all the way full for it to turn the light off. Passenger side behind the headlights right next to the strut tower.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group