Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wonderbar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything moves around when you drive. A hard foul of adjacent parts is a no-no. Stress cracks and longevity issues. Something will give eventually. I'm more concerned about the plastic mounting rail for the fans than the fans themselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 4417
Location: Gresham, OR

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Bar doesn't move enough to shove the fans. What is the worry here? Confused


I'm with stupid

What is the issue. I have been running GW for years. They touch the fan mounts. No big.

-Schultzy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is you have a metal bar in contact with a plastic part and both move in different directions. When things aren't right you end up playing a game of statistics. Not everybody will have problems, but some people will. One thing I know for sure is I won't have a problem if the parts aren't touching. That's the route I want to take.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 4417
Location: Gresham, OR

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, there isn't a lot of movement here.


Smile

-Schultzy


Last edited by Schultzy89GTA on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with stupid

I have found the plastic that GM used to be very resilient.

Mike, is the fitment better with the TDS bar vs. the GW bar? Or did you have a single fan on the '88 GTA?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW; I've got the TDS bar and dual fans. I think I remember having to chop the swaybar bracket alignment tab off or down or something but it doesn't hit my fan shroud.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 4417
Location: Gresham, OR

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't recall on the TDS bar bud. It was on there when we got it. The '88 was dual fan just like my '89.

This is a brace. Not like it is a sway bar (aka 'spring') and moving around. The 'feet' on the dual fans is pretty heavy plastic. No wear, no discernible movement.

-Schultzy


Last edited by Schultzy89GTA on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I ask is that I have that used TDS bar kicking around here still and as such I'd be totally willing to trade Jon for his GW unit if this is going to be a big conniption.

I am running an aftermarket aluminum radiator and will probably run a Taurus fan I've had sitting on the shelf forever. Plus I don't care about stuff touching other stuff because I just want to drive fast in a Camaro. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 4417
Location: Gresham, OR

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe Very Happy

One way to find out Wink

-Schultzy


Last edited by Schultzy89GTA on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, You should have no problems with a little rub there. As stated, its a brace so there is only minor flex of the chassis itself. No more than say your dash rubbing on the console.

I had a factory wonderbar, so it wasn't an issue, but I definitely wouldn't have worried if the fans contacted it.

-P

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, I am sincere in my offer to trade you bars. If you are interested send me a PM with details on what exactly you want me to measure and I can get detailed photographs so we can determine if the TDS bar will work for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 4417
Location: Gresham, OR

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited the thread to keep content but remove remarks considered offensive. Apologies to those who made popcorn.

-Schultzy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have clearance now. Solved. Thumbs up

Aaron - As always, thank you for the info. It helped me know what are my options so I could decide what to do. Apology was meaninful, too. Thanks.

Ian - Ya, I had problems with alignment tab too but in my case I was able to flip the brackets and resolve it.

Shultzy - I know you tried hard but unfortunately you didn't make the cut for the CC cheerleading squad. Now go take a nap, grumpy bear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1987_sportcoupe
Member


Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Posts: 246
Location: Tacoma, WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius, what do you think of the TDS bar? I'm looking into buying one because it's a fair price and my front end feels pretty loose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
I have clearance now. Solved. Thumbs up


So what was the solution?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
QwkTrip wrote:
I have clearance now. Solved. Thumbs up


So what was the solution?


You saw away the offending plastic so that it doesnt crack.. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
RSFreak
The other "John"


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2946
Location: Renton

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys are getting along again! Very Happy

James - Why do you post such inflamitory things?!?!?! Laughing

_________________
'86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1987_sportcoupe wrote:
Alphius, what do you think of the TDS bar? I'm looking into buying one because it's a fair price and my front end feels pretty loose.


The TDS wonderbar is great. It has tons of clearance for the dual fan setup, and is the only wonderbar that has a bolt pattern that fits both '82-'83 cars and later cars. Not that that matters too much for you and I... Razz

Make sure your suspension is in good shape. If it feels loose without a wonderbar, something is probably wrong. Mine felt fine pre-bar, but just felt better post-bar. It's not something I would have noticed and said "I think my suspension feels crappy" or anything.

I noticed a lot more solidity when taking corners hard and fast with mine on. I drove the same road after installing and the car felt a lot more planted. I would love to see a slow motion video of hard cornering and its effects on the front suspension and frame rails, since I totally was not expecting it to make a noticeable difference at all.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
DBL_TKE
Member


Joined: 28 Feb 2007
Posts: 1505
Location: Aloha, OR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, I just installed a TDS wonder bar on Thursday and had absolutely no clearance issues with the factory dual fan setup on my '91.
_________________
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
1987_sportcoupe
Member


Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Posts: 246
Location: Tacoma, WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I feel like my suspension is in decent shape I just want to upgrade and have a tighter more planted cars. The iroc sway bars with energy bushings already made a huge difference so I'm just continuing to upgrade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group