| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:15 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Mmkay, so adtimtedly I'm a little drunk, but this is really starting to look like a good idea...
See the Northern tool box will save weight, which is good.
But seriously now, I've not been real happy with the Trans Am dash in the Camaro. The issue I have is that the gauges are too low for me, and there's still not enough real estate for all I want to do. I'm thinking maybe a sheet of aluminum or something and make a single bend on it with a brake. Then bolt it to the stock mounts. I can run the factory defrost vents (opnly part of the hvac I'm keeping anyhow). I'll have to figure out what to do about the head unit though. No center console in this car. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:22 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I can't say I've seen any sheet metal dash ever look good...
Good luck!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:23 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I like the cardboard. Every time a cop pulls you over and asks if you know how fast you were going just tap on the cardboard and say, Yep! 88 MPH. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
83Z28BlackBetty Bam-Ba-Lam

Joined: 13 Mar 2006 Posts: 2083 Location: Aloha
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:03 pm Post subject: |
|
|
You better do something about that dash before you find yourself getting zapped into the future. _________________ 1983 Z-28 5.7 LT1, T56, Headman headers, BW 9 Bolt Posi Disc, WS6 suspension
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Xophertony Rodeo Queen

Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 5306 Location: Portland, Oregon.
1988 Pontiac GTA
|
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:51 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| also ditch that wheel in favor of the base model firebird wheel. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
jchaussee Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2010 Posts: 1318 Location: renton
|
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:04 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| The guy whp pianted my car did for two hundred bucks. Was almost as cheap if I took into how many cans of rattle can it would have been, but a much better paint job. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:20 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Xophertony wrote: | | also ditch that wheel in favor of the base model firebird wheel. |
IROC wheel. But yes, base Camaro wheel brings the suck.
I think I'll probably still go with the GTA dash, I'll just have to fiddle with it. Nothing ever good enough for me.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:43 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I am solving the yellow problem from the inside out!
I am certain Al will recognize my new rims.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Al Hasse Member

Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 4379 Location: Bremerton, WA
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:49 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | I am certain Al will recognize my new rims.  |
Nice improvement How's the paint holding up on them? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
chevymad Master B
Joined: 11 Jan 2004 Posts: 5477
1987 Pontiac Formula
|
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:01 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Everybody knows a banana's white inside the peel... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:25 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Al Hasse wrote: | Nice improvement How's the paint holding up on them? |
Very well, Al. Especially considering that neither I (nor my Dad when he had them) ever cleaned or did anything with them.
| chevymad wrote: | | Everybody knows a banana's white inside the peel... |
Tru dat. But this banana is going to get real rotten real fast.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:12 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Man, you move quick! All I did tonight was look at wires coming out of C100 connector and put some yellow and green highlighter on paper. It's like a 1000:1 ratio of progress.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:21 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| QwkTrip wrote: | | Man, you move quick! |
The impetuousness of youth combined with a somewhat marginalized employment situation.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
fiveoformula Member

Joined: 08 Aug 2007 Posts: 1799 Location: OR
1988 Pontiac Formula
|
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:28 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Im starting to think you just like to lock your self in your garage with a few cans of paint all day for the fumes.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
blue89 Member

Joined: 23 May 2006 Posts: 3482 Location: Bellingham/Eugene
1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
RSFreak The other "John"

Joined: 23 Jan 2004 Posts: 2946 Location: Renton
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:50 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | | Xophertony wrote: | | also ditch that wheel in favor of the base model firebird wheel. |
IROC wheel. But yes, base Camaro wheel brings the suck.
|
Ugh! The stock IROC steering wheel brings the suck second only to the base Camaro wheel! They are both fugly!  _________________ '86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:53 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Wiring looked pretty clean really. And Amplifier wire can handle a lot more current than battery cable for the same size or smaller. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:55 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| fiveoformula wrote: | Im starting to think you just like to lock your self in your garage with a few cans of paint all day for the fumes.  |
Blargh! I hate paint fumes.
| blue89 wrote: | | Nice progress! When does the cage go in? Can't have a sheetmetal dash in a t-top without a cage. |
Haha, no funds for that now. I would love to run a cage and tie it into the strut towers and SFC's, but as they say, your money's money is all that moneys.
| RSFreak wrote: | Ugh! The stock IROC steering wheel brings the suck second only to the base Camaro wheel! They are both fugly!  |
Says the guy who likes airbag wheels! I will probably be looking at a Grant down the road, but I have the IROC wheel in hand.
| Twilightoptics wrote: | | Wiring looked pretty clean really. And Amplifier wire can handle a lot more current than battery cable for the same size or smaller. |
Looked being the operative term. The car cranked so slow it would barely start. That whole install was bad-news bears. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:58 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I have a thirdgen roll bar hoop just sitting at the house in tacompton with no home... It could be yours for cheap!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Al Hasse Member

Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 4379 Location: Bremerton, WA
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:08 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | | Twilightoptics wrote: | | Wiring looked pretty clean really. And Amplifier wire can handle a lot more current than battery cable for the same size or smaller. |
Looked being the operative term. The car cranked so slow it would barely start. That whole install was bad-news bears. |
Welding cable is the way to go. Handles lots of current and is super flexible - more so than amplifier wire or battery cable of the same gauge, and its insulation is like armor. My positive cable is welding cable, had it made when my amplifier wire cable got too close to the exhaust manifold and got real brittle. I think I'll have my installer friend make a complete set for my 89 when I replace the battery. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|