Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My swap - begining to end
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you shortened them did you use new ends?

You can cut plug wires to any size. Most good kits come with the plug end attached and you cut to fit the rest. A good spark plug wiring crimping tool is a worthy investment.

Or atleast I used to think so until I started working with engines that don't have such devices.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reused the ends before, but sometimes they don't like being bent repeatedly. Depends on the quality of the unit.

I'll second buying a good crimp tool as well. I have had good luck with my Taylor tool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new ends, but I did have it running after I shortened them. A good set of Taylor wires are going on shortly, these MSD Street-Fires I have found out (and heard) aren't what they're cracked up to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crane or Taylor is all I'll buy. Accel is okay, but ugly yellow.

MSD's are crap. Had a set. Never again.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New wires on, idle set and timed 6* and seemed to idle OK. I have an exhaust leak where a bracket was welded to hold the AIR tube for the cat, but nowhere near the starter this time. I was able to start the motor first try every time with Paul's starter, great piece.

I took a short trip around the block and found that the cat gets really hot and starts to glow, it's not had AIR injection since I installed the EBL Flash because it doesn't support it. Do I need a little more timing to cool off the cat, or get one that doesn't require AIR?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not pumping air into a cat that needs it will clog it up.

You're in Kitsap so I would just get a straight pipe, or gut it. Or if you want to keep it all legal-beagle get a high-flow.

Also take a look at timing and fuel to make sure it's not an engine issue causing to much fuel to end up in the exhaust.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cat is supposed to be high flow already, I bought it several years ago from West Bay when I put the exhaust system together, it hasn't had air pumped to it for more than a year because the EBL doesn't support the diverter solenoids, air pump exhausted to atmosphere that whole time. It does, however smell very rich out the tail pipes.

I have the values for 61lb/hr injectors set into EBL and 13psi fuel pressure, I'll have to look at the gauge tomorrow and see what pressure it's really running at. Other than that, timing is at 6*, I'll play with that some tomorrow and see where it likes to be, maybe it needs some more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
rjmcgee
The Hammer


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 2328



PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump the timing up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you conformed that the ECM is actually adjusting the timing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, but not by how much. I may have set it wrong too. I have a dial-back light and it may not have been set to zero when I started, will verify tomorrow what I'm set to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bumped the timing to about 12-13 degrees, idle seemed smoothest there. After plugging the EST wire back in, the ECM commanded the timing to about 20 degrees.

I think I'm quite lean on fuel though. There isn't much for acceleration and, although the cat didn't smoke like before, the exhaust is hot enough at the muffler to boil what little fuel I have in the tank.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just may have to start over with the idle and timing. I just discovered that only one of my injectors is firing, which more than likely accounts for the lack of power on acceleration and general roughness, also for the extremely lean condition
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hasse wrote:
I just discovered that only one of my injectors is firing,


Surprised

Those injectors were small to begin with dude, don't blow the whole motor trying to dial it in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dial it in with one injector? I don't think so.

I'm not doing anything else until I replace them with some 80 lb/hr 454 injectors. I've been shopping since I found out this is a stock 350 TBI unit and found the upper part of the TBI with injectors and regulator (non adjustable) for less than the injectors by themselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I acquired another pair of injectors today, still 5.7 but they'll keep me out of trouble for a while Laughing Both work good, I drove the car around the block and pickup was very good.

It's throwing a CTS code at me though and I think it's affecting how the motor runs. Either the CTS is faulty or it doesn't like how and where it's mounted, I had to use an adapter ring to fit it into a larger hole and it sits a bit higher than it should, but still in the coolant flow I think.

Tuning runs as soon as I figure out why I have the CTS code Very Happy Cool I'm thinking sensor because it's been intermittent since the motor has been running - on the drive with only one injector, the code was detected by EBL, but hadn't been set by the ECM.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the CTS fails it will fail max low, therefore the engine is always trying to fuel as if it was like 24* below. Cheap to replace.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I disconnected the laptop, CTS temp was 40*C, and at operating temp, I would think it should be at least double or closer to 100*C. My t-stat is 180*, so that makes operating temp about 82*C or so. I know I was at operating temp because my fan came on for a while.

A new sensor for tomorrow then. It could be the connector though, the locking tab has broken off, but always seems tight when I check it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from some tuning, I think I'm done Very Happy Cool I replaced the connector on the CTS, though I bought both pieces, went for some tuning runs and all codes disappeared from the EBL display. Now that I have both injectors working, this motor has some great acceleration, and though I wasn't trying to, I only broke the tires loose once at a stop light.

Here it is all complete, later I plan to replace the air cleaner with a black piece and the valve covers with red trimmed black ones.



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 4417
Location: Gresham, OR

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Al! Congrats!

-Schultzy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exciting. Very Happy I can't wait to see what she puts down.
_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group