Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My swap - begining to end
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Keep at it! Typically if you get it fired off, give it more timing!

Unless it starts kicking back when cranking.


I've got it to idle a little longer, but not long enough yet to time it correctly. I messed with it one time too many, now have to start again and find that sweet spot. I'm thinking though, I'll probably leave it where it wants to idle smoothly, and then enter the same timing through EBL...

Sounds like a HUGE vacuum leak with the air cleaner off, the thing sucks in that much air. I can still hear it with the air cleaner on, but not near as loud

I think I just killed the new starter solenoid. Sounds like a drill when I turn the key. Now I have to pull the front of the exhaust down to put the original (which still works) back in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapo starters. Sigh.

You are probably going to need to adjust the idle screw out. It's not a 305 anymore, minimum air is a larger value.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya.. Pauls right.. probably starter drive gone allready. Sorry Al, I'd seen nothing but good reviews from that place. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to warranty it out and send it back to China where it belongs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Time to warranty it out and send it back to China where it belongs.


Laughing

And buy mine? LOL

Overseas starters are getting pretty bad. We do atleast 1 Delco Remy Starter bolted to a cummins a week.

Mitsubishi starters seem to be pretty bullet proof.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with that, the battery is shot too, I have to jump it every time to be able to roll the starter, maybe it's related. I'll charge it up for a while today and see if it likes to hold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thats an bass ackwards sounding statement..

delco = overseas crap

mitsubishi = excellence..

and on the 4th too. Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
aaron_sK wrote:
Time to warranty it out and send it back to China where it belongs.


Laughing

And buy mine? LOL


Seriously, how much would you want for it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
You are probably going to need to adjust the idle screw out. It's not a 305 anymore, minimum air is a larger value.


P/N for the injectors is 350 (55 or 61 #/hr is what I find for them), I would assume that he set the idle screw to the same, but it won't hurt to give it a try. What do you use to punch out the cap over the screw?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if it's taylored to the injectors of the TBI unit, it still isn't taylored to your cam, compression, cubes, etc.

Use a punch, screw driver, whatever you can get in there to pound it crooked and pry it out.





$50 + a flatrate box?

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's supposed to be tailored to the 383, and flow 700cfm but I'm thinking it's stock 350. Injector part numbers (stamped on the injectors) are for 350, though I don't think there is one for 400, and I don't know if these were tweaked to flow more. Fuel pressure regulator is about about 12-13psi by the gauge I installed on the supply line. Right now, I can't seem to get an idle speed over about 600 or so, drops to about 450-500, then surges up to about 900 and settles again at about 600. It's like that no matter where the timing is set (EST wire disconnected).


Hold on to your starter. Might be a week or two, but I'll take it for that price. I'll send a PM when I can do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely set the timing for what the computer thinks base timing is and plug the est back in. You should be able to hold the throttle open and let it get to normal operating temp then slowely bring it down to an idle. Watch your sensor values and see what things are doing. Tune the normal temp first, then adjust your coolant temp values to compensate for colder temps.
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more today after taking a week or so off. I got the motor started again, got a decent idle at about 800, set the timing to 6* to match what's in the ECM. I have a terrible exhaust leak at the y-pipe since I couldn't get the donuts off to put new ones on.

After setting the timing, I shut the motor off, plugged the EST wire back in, then tried to fire it up again, but it acts like the battery is dead and barely turns the starter. All this wile connected via jumper cables from the V6 and still just barely turns the starter over, maybe time for that new battery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the EST wire and see if it starts any better. ECM might be commanding too much timing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that, took a while to get started again but I didn't check the timing this time. I think I cooked the starter - the stock one, it's very hot to the touch and smoke coming from that side of the motor, wires and cables appear to to be fine though and insulation is still sort of cool to the touch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to say to let it cool and see if it starts. With the timing connector disconnected the exhaust will get hotter then normal heat soaking the starter.

This is still a bad sign though, because a long trip will do the same thing. You need a different starter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also with that leak right there, it's probably dumping hot exhaust gas right onto the starter. Heat soak makes a little more sense because the thing cranked all day long (with jumper cables) until I got the motor started. Only after I got the idle and timing set and poked around with it for a while before shutting it off did it act like this.

I'm hoping to get Paul's starter next weekend if funds allow. I spent a little more than I wanted this week, even with the overtime I had, I'm still strapped this week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Paul's starter on Tuesday. I was going to take the exhaust down and fix the header/y-pipe leaks before installing the starter, but got nothing on the 89 done this weekend. I worked on Saturday to log some overtime, and today I fixed a couple of things on the 92 that have been bugging me, as well as change the oil. Also, while I was on the east side of the water, I picked up the fuel tank Aaron has sitting in the wood shed.

I fixed the back brakes so that they don't lock up on me when at low speeds - one set of shoes was way too loose and like Brandon suggested in another post, they were wedging themselves in the drum and causing it to lock up. The other set was a bit tight and the heat had caused the paint on the drum to flake off.

I also pulled the hood latch down about 1/4" so that it rests on the rubber stops and the release works first time every time so far. The mechanism was already at the lowest position, so I had to lower the bracket it's mounted to - block of wood and 4lb hammer worked just fine before I saw how it was mounted to the core support Embarassed Anyway, it works great now Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got those brakes figured out, Al. Thumbs up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I put a new set of exhaust gaskets on, and installed Paul's old starter. That starter sounds quite different from my stocker, or even that Chinese thing I had, especially when the motor tries to fire. Didn't get it started yesterday. I think I need to start over with the timing, or maybe new wires since I shortened these and I'm not sure how they do with a re-crimp, I was planning to get new wires anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group