Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electric C4 Corvette...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Electric C4 Corvette... Reply with quote

Definitely interesting. Kind of cool with some non lead acid batteries and a bit more motor. Very Happy

Mo_Bandy wrote:
Close to about 2 years ago, I was having issues getting my Supercharged 396 Corvette through California Emissions testing.

I posted a few pictures long ago. I was actually bumped by Agent 86 to give an update on my "Jetson Car" LOL

I don't need to hear the flames ( although everyone has been quite kind about this.)

I love this car and I love the power, so to beat the emissions I converted the car to complete battery power. It was a choice of only being able to run at the strip or converting and get to drive anytime I want, AND smog exempt! I can throw as much amperage and batteries at this that I want and not have to worry about failing a smog test .

I'll answer a bunch of questions then add some comments with the pictures as well.

When I embarked on this 2 years ago I took baby steps rather than just blowing money... I started out with a 500Amp controller and was running 144v using 12 -12v batteries with the 4L60E automatic.

Two years later I have received a battery sponsorship and I'm continuing to move forward with performance.

I now am running 288 volts 16 16 volt batteries and have a water cooled 2000Amp controller. The motor is only rated for 100 HP ( for now)... I'm still contemplating a second motor or a larger higher voltage version.

To date at 100 rpm's I'm hitting 739 ft/lbs of torque which settles to about 240 ft/lbs at about 1400, averages out at about 195 ft/lbs to about 3200 RPM's and 150 ft /lbs through to about 5500 RPM I'm squeezing 133 HP ( out of a 100 rated motor ) at 3500 rpm'd I redline at 5500 RPM"s

About a year ago I pulled out the 4L60E and put in a ZF6 manual transmission. so that I would not have to idle the motor at stop lights.

At about 50 mph I get about 22 miles to a charge... Around town it is closer to about 30 miles. ( For those to compare a Prius without the motor running gets 40 miles.) top speed is about 85 mph thus far. I'm still breaking in the batteries.

It take about 4 hours to charge depending on how far down I run the batteries, it charges from either 120 or 220 volt outlets.

I pulled 938 pounds from the car, 8 pounds of wire under the hood alone which was strictly engine wiring. I replaced with 1089 pounds so the car os only 150 pounds over stock weight.

0-60 is about 8 seconds right now... That is with only 600 amps being pulled from the batteries and a 1-2 without a clutch

The 386 Supercharged LT4 with a T-trim

After the engine was pulled only the automatic remained.

Everything was pulled from the engine compartment.

The electric motor adapter is fitted to the 4L60E

The car is up for pulling out all the emissions parts.

Fuel tank is removed.

The ADC FB1-4001 100 peak HP electric motor.

The shaft adapter to adapt the flex plate to the motor.

Motor with the adapter plate

Crankshaft adapter added to the rear of the motor.

Flex plate added...

Everything assembled.

Battery racks for the lower front 4 batteries.

Electric Power steering pump.

Power steering pump and motor is in.

The "old" Curtis Controller maximum 500 Amps

As I mentioned after about a year I swapped out the automatic to save juice so at a light I did not have to idle the motor to keep transmission pressure. This is the new "clutchless" adapter...

The adapter essentially couples the transmission input shaft to the motor. The spline and springs were retained to absorb torsional spikes.

The motor is mated to the ZF6 6 speed transmission, I kept my D36 differential ( for now) and changed the input shaft on the drive shaft, this didn't require any cutting to the driveshaft, nor modifications to the C-Beam

ZF6 Just about in...

Fuel tank removed and rear battery rack which will now hold 10 batteries.

20 New XS Power XP1000 16 volt batteries.

These are capable of 2400 amp draw ( I have thus far only pulled about 900 amps from them. they weigh 46 pounds.

Lower 4 XP1000 batteries installed.

10 XP1000 batteries installed in the rear. I use 2/0 welding cables to connect the batteries.

Wasn't planned this way, but looks pretty cool! With the rear bumper back on the car.

2/0 cable connecting the rear battery pack to the front batteries.

Gast Vacuum pump and Square D pressure switch handle the power brakes and vacuum elsewhere in the car.

Fuses block for the controller, the red cap is an inertia switch in the event of an accident it disconnects power to the system. The silver square to the right is the "Pot box" this is essentially the throttle control. Look at it as a light dimmer control... More the accelerator is pushed the brighter the lights, or the faster I go .... Below the pot box it a Dakota digital speedometer box. It connects to the Vss sensor in the transmission and feed the speed to the stock speedometer.

The top 4 batteries in the front, the car has a total of 18 batteries the weigh 46 pounds each.

In the foreground is the Cafe' Zilla Controller HV-2000 it is water cooled capable of 2000 amps and can control 2 motors with a nominal 300 volts... The black box with fins is the on-board El con Battery charger that will charge all the batteries simultaneously. The far side is the main power breaker and the green smaller box is the "hairball" which is the brains for the controller, it can log runs , sets the high and low voltages as well as rev limit the motor.

Side view

Rear view

It is interesting driving around and people are looking to hear a rumble. The comments of most who have ridden in the car is that it is like a them park ride, you feel it pull you back in the seat, but there is no noise... almost eerie quiet.

Thanks for letting me share...

MO

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I think I would have done it with a different car, but w/e. Surely not what people would expect. Very Happy
20ft Longhorn Car Hauler
chevysquid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, pretty cool. That is the future of cars after all.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you think that thing handles with 460 lbs of batteries overhung past the rear axle...

Oh wait, the Germans already did that. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: