Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camaro idles like **** in hot weather
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! So get this....

It turns out I can use the HP Tuner scanner function to look at data. I plugged it in and it pulled up a code that my handheld scanner didn't. The code is low voltage at MAF. Nice, so that explains why the SES light is on. So I start the car and sure enough the MAF sensor is dead. But remember.... this is the MAF sensor that made the car run better. I put the stock sensor back in and it is good, the SES light is off, but the car is back to it's old ways of poor idle.

I happen to get a call from the previous owner today and he tells me that the car was speed density tuned. The car should run the same with or without the MAF sensor. But indeed, it runs better without. So now I'm convinced the idle problem is the tune. Nothing I can do except let it be, or spend $500 on HP Tuner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
the car was speed density tuned.


WTF? Laughing How did a MAF end up on it? Sounds to me like it'd be easier to just swap it back to a MAP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LS1 cars have both from the factory. The ECM compares the speed density values to the MAF values and uses what is best. I think what it means is he tuned it using the speed density tables. It should run better with the MAF hooked up. In this case it doesn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, mid-90's today and the car drove great. No MIL light. No idle problems. I can even drive one gear deeper about everywhere because part throttle control is so good.

I guess I'm losing the MAF for now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group