Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My swap - begining to end
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your attention to detail is cool Al. That's gonna be alot of fun when you get her all bolted together. Way cool!
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, now to do something about that PCV hose. Maybe an elbow close to the throttle body to take that big bend out Wink
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more goodies came today....

To replace the piece which I think did the 305 in, even though the fan switch is mounted elsewhere, I have a Lokar flexible dipstick which secures nicely to a header bolt My stock tube would not secure to a header bolt, and by moving around, pulled the connector off my fan switch. I did have to do a "slight" amount of moving the A.I.R. tubing to make clearance for the handle.

Also, a new throttle cable bracket, I didn't think I could easily modify the stock bracket. Edelbrock makes a nice adjustable piece to fit Vortec intakes. Description said "for Vortec intake with Edelbrock carburetor," but I thought the linkage to the TBI was so similar that it should work. I had to mount the bracket to the valve cover side of the intake bolts to line up with the TBI linkage. Only issue I may have now is hood clearance with the spacer on the air cleaner (needed to clear the bracket), or I may go to a 14 X 2 element.

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking your oil hot might be interesting... Surprised
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have preferred one with a taller handle, but it's all I could find. I suppose a rag would work to check hot Wink
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm ready to drop the motor in, but not quite ready to fire it up. I had a friend do some welding on one of the header primaries so I could connect the EGR tube, he wasn't satisfied with just welding the tube and nut on, so he welded a sort of brace to it to keep it from vibrating loose.

Check out the job he did here

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I may set the motor on the mounts and bolt the transmission cross-member in place, but first all the accessories need to come off, and most likely the driver side header (gasket isn't in yet).
BigDaddyVu
12sec Club

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you didn't want to make the block to have dual dipstick bosses on the block?

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor is in and sitting on the mounts!!!! Actually went in pretty easy, I did run into a snag as the picker wasn't quite long enough to set the motor as far back into the bay as it needs to be. A couple of tries setting it on the pan on the K-member and re-adjusting the chain did the trick, though I did put a dent in my new license plate.

Now the fun begins remembering where everything connects, though I have almost all of it labeled.
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome progress Al! Cool

I have had that problem with most of the hoists that I have used. Paully actually welded up an extension that we use to give a bit more length. I think my bird nose sticks out a bit further than the camaro nose. Glad you got it in there.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this piece, pictured earlier, in place with the transmission resting on the mount. It should make the T-5 last a little longer, but I'm already searching for the T-56, which will need a different cross-member. Nothing except the mounts are bolted down yet.

chevysquid

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like everything is going fairly smooth so far. I saw a craigslist ad with a guy parting a 98 Z28 with an LS1 and a T56.

http://skagit.craigslist.org/pts/2369120545.html

RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hasse wrote:
Actually went in pretty easy, I did run into a snag as the picker wasn't quite long enough to set the motor as far back into the bay as it needs to be. A couple of tries setting it on the pan on the K-member and re-adjusting the chain did the trick

We ran into the same problem putting the engine into my T/A. We ended up jacking up the left side of the car and going in from the side. Wink

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding that I need to call the builder on a couple of issues. The TBI unit in particular. At the moment, I don't know the size of the injectors (lb p/hr), or the setting of the fuel pressure regulator, he's supposed to get back to me about that. Today, I found that the linkage on the side aren't compatible with the way my cables run, I can hook up the throttle OK, but the cruise looks like it's supposed to come from the front. Maybe I can connect them to the same spot with a longer stud? Anyhow, I still need to call the builder.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niiiiiice. Very Happy

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so awesome Al. Both of us will have some badass rides when our swaps are done

-jake

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tranny will hold up a bit longer than mine though Laughing

I talked to the builder again and he'll have the TBI unit reworked to have the correct linkage for cables on the shaft to fit a 3rd Gen.

I'm at the stage now where I need to do all the little things like electrical & mechanical connections, plumbing, etc, so no hurry while waiting on the TBI unit. Working only on weekends, and only when the weather permits, I can't complain about the progress. I still can't wait to fire it up though Razz Very Happy
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what you end up with for linkage, Ill have to do something when I get my vortecs on. Cool
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a 454 TB? If it is, you will be missing the cruise connection. I just didn't bother to hook the cruise back up on mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubtful it's a 454 TB because there was no machining done to the intake to accommodate the larger bore. It's built for 383 and, at the moment, has the cable linkage for a truck where the cruise cable comes in from the front and pulls from underneath. I'm taking it back this weekend for rework.

The Edelbrock throttle cable bracket I got for the intake needs a small mod to accept the cruise cable. The hole is too big for the cable retainer. I'll use the part of the stock bracket with the cruise cable hole, and have that welded over the hole in the Edelbrock piece.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 205 and 350 throttle bodies are the same, just use the injectors for the new motor, with your 305 unit, and you should be in the same place you are now, but with the right linkage.

The only reason to not use the stocker, is if the new one is a 2" bore 454 unit. The rest of the TB's (4.3, 5.0 and 5.7) are all the same bore size.

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: