Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Almost ready to get a WB o2 sensor...Now which one?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBoi4Lyph

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Almost ready to get a WB o2 sensor...Now which one? Reply with quote

I remember talking to somone(sorry horrible with names) at the dyno this year on a good wideband o2 setup. If I recall it was on summit and it was like 189.99 for the setup?

Well I cannot find that one for the life of me.

Any advise on which one to get would be apriciated tho.

Also I already have it converted to 3 wire heated if there is a kit that would more easily hook into my current setup? But im assuming I will have to cut and redo the wiring for any WB setup anyways.

Thanks alot!

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You retain your narrow-band O2 to the ECM. The computer still needs to see what's up. Wink You will have to get a second bung welded in your exhaust for the wideband sensor.

IIRC this is the gauge kit I purchased. All the info is over at my Dad's shop, and eBay doesn't track purchases that far back, but I think this is the right part number:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AVM-30-4100/

I believe this is the same setup that Mike is running. I was very pleased with this kit. You can buy the parts individually if something breaks, it is very easy to install, and there is no calibration or tuning. It's literally plug-and-play.

If I was buying another one, I would consider the analog-style kit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AVM-30-5130/

...just because I have a hatred of silly digital gauges. But maybe that's just me. Razz
BigBoi4Lyph

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I like the digital. I figure ill probably get one on order here in the next couple weeks.

I need to accuratly tune it finally. Not that i have any clue how to tunning yet. Sad

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it changes your decision any, Mike and I had a conversation after dyno about my Innovate LC1 setup vs. his AEM gauge setup. My LC1 was dead-on with the dyno's WB while the AEM on Mike's car was off by nearly a full point from the dyno's reading. I believe this may be due to the no-calibration-necessary of the AEM, while the LC1 has a free-air calibration routine.

I'd take accuracy over ease-of-use any day, but that's just me. I like things complicated. Razz

Not sure about the AEM, but the LC1 can be setup to output a simulated NB signal to the ECU if necessary, but it's still recommended to go for the seperate NB O2 sensor due to extended reliability.

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle's Neon has an AEM also and was dead on with the dyno.

Mike's AEM read pretty darn close to what the LC-1 tables were in the idle/cruise area.

I vote AEM.

Derek can post up and see what his AEM read vs dyno.

That dyno WB is HORRIBLY inaccurate. Nothing against Steve, it just is. It's a lazy setup and when Mike ran, it was half out the tail pipe.

Plus Innovate's customer service SUCKS

Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
...Plus Innovate's customer service SUCKS

QFT! I use the stand alone unit and I had the permanent mount in my A pillar. Have had no trouble with the stand alone unit but the other one went out on me and had a helluva time with the company trying to get support for it. I am only one voice but can't in good conscience recommend products for a company that doesn't support you when you have a problem.

The AEM is relatively new but no problems. It is a complete no-brainer (my kinda of product) compared to the Innovate unit when it comes to setup.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, totally forgot the probe was out of the tailpipe on Mike's run. Selective memory loss I guess. Laughing I'm too young for this... Razz That blows the good point for the Innovate then. Guess functionally they're about the same.

I still like mine. It's great. Works good for me, but I've never had to deal with their customer service either. I am the fiddle-with-stuff kind of guy, a plug and play solution usually isn't what I'm shooting for.

All that being said, I guess my recommendation would have to go to the AEM based on potential customer service troubles. Nothing bugs me more than a company that won't stand behind their product.

Boostd1
12sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: