Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help: TH350 leaking from dipstick tube & holly carb star

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Help: TH350 leaking from dipstick tube & holly carb star Reply with quote

Hey Guys:

Finally got the 82 bird back together today and just tried to start the car. Car tries to turn over but no go. I then got out of the car and took a look under the car to see a puddle of trans fluid...it is coming from around the dipstick tube. Thoughts?...& how to proceed? (I put a 2 quarts of fluid in the car before i turned it on. Last we left it back in Dec there was only what fluid was still in the trans from when i got it from Brandon...not even enough to register on the dipstick).

And with that, what is the best way to get a holly carb to fire? I am used to the edelbrock in the other car...i couldn't get this one to turn on Confused

F

Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trans never leaked before, but the dipstick has been pulled out then put in agian.. so most likely that seal is messed up somehow. I don't remember if its an o-ring, or the large rubber seal. Both styles were used.

What do you mean get the carb to fire? Does the choke close? Does it squirt fuel down the primary barrels when you open the throttle? If it does both then its working.
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Its ALIVE!!! Reply with quote

Thank you Brandon for your help over IM. Got the thing running & no trans leak. A little coolant was dripping in the back but I think it was due to a loose hose clamp going to the heater core on the firewall. I put in 5 quarts of fluid in the trans on top of whatever was in there and the dipstick was still dry at hot idle. Guess I need to go pick up another bottle or 2.

Now all I need still is a 700r4/T5 Torque Arm. The one in the car is way to long due to the longer trans. I backed the car up about 4 feet and every time I slightly pushed the brakes I could hear the torque arm wacking the floor pan. Anyone have an old one laying around???

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing desperatly needs some purtification. I've got a tq arm here.. but doesnt do you much good. Unless you come down next weekend, or talk someone into bringing it back with them.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh. Am I going to be cruising back with a torque arm sticking out of my car? Laughing

Glad to see you got it fired Fish. Just a few more little things. I take it you got that clip on the trans speedo gear?
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Uh oh. Am I going to be cruising back with a torque arm sticking out of my car? Laughing

Glad to see you got it fired Fish. Just a few more little things. I take it you got that clip on the trans speedo gear?

yeah i got the clip on...and i figured out why we had such a challenge taking it off Embarassed.

if you are offering to bring the torque arm back......that would be awesome!! Thumbs up Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: