Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new project
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i am going to start cleaning up my new carrier and swap the gears onto it tomorrow. The carrier is in good shape but kinda dirty (looks like the previous guy had a cat and got some hair in it. Am i going to be ok if i wash this thing out with some solvent and re-grease it up? what kind of grease do i need to use?

Travis mentioned that i need to reuse the brass cups from the housing but is there anything else that i should watch for? I don't want to mess something up. What kind of precautions do i need to take while swapping the gears over?

thanks, i'm learning Embarassed

~JAKE
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so an update, Got the thing stripped today. Brakes off, and old posi unit out. Cleaned it up and going to swap the gears onto it tomorrow!! this thing is comming together MUCH easier than i thought.

found out that it is a 3.27 rather than the 3.45 but oh well, it will be a big difference than my 2.9 that it has now.

~JAKE

izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have all the stuff for checking the specs and setup of the gears I take it? I forget are you installing used gears or new gears?

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
alloy
T56 Elitist

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to follow what your doing here to try and answer your question about installing the new posi unit. I'm assuming the carrier is adjusted by shims on a 9 bolt, so I'll go through it assuming it does use shims and not screw adjusters like a 9 inch has, and you have all the tools necessary for checking backlash.

From what I can tell, you have a rear you bought that had a bad posi/open carrier in it. Gears were good. Now your just swapping in a new carrier/posi unit usning the old gears correct? I'm assuming you took some backlash readings before you pulled the old carrier/ring gear out. You will be shooting the get the same measurement when you go back togehter with it.

If this is so, you just need to drop it in with the same shims that came out of the old carrier. Make sure you put them on the same side they came out of. You will probably end up adding/subtracting a couple of small shims, but you shuld be in the ball park by putting it back together with the old shims on the same side they came from.

I've not done a 9 bolt so I don't know the backlash settings for that rear, but match the readings you took before pulling the old carrier out. Mark the ring gear in about 4 equal places around it. Check the backlash in each of these 4 places, and take the average reading and adjust it from there. After getting the correct backlash, you need to preload the bearings by adding shims to both sides. I'm not sure what the preload is on a 9 bolt, but you just add a shim to both sides (probably .002-.003) to each side for preload and you should be good to go. Be sure and recheck the backlash after doing this.

No 'grease" is needed here. Gear lube is the way to go for assembly lube.
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly, i am taking the old posi unit out and replacing it with a "new" (working) one. I am reusing the ring and pinion gears.

i didn't see any shims, there were only 2 barring caps on each side of the carrier. unless the shims are in between the ring gear and the carrier. I haven't taken the ring gear off yet so i'll be sure to check that. I'm not planning on taking the pinion gear out at all because i'm reusing the old gears.

~JAKE
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jake, I haven't worked on a 9 bolt either, but I know that the ring gears bolts on a 10 bolt are left handed thread. Might want to check your new carrier and see, makes getting the ring gear off alot easier if you know this. Laughing
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake,

I think thats the thing with the BW rear. There are no spacers! So make sure you keep the bearing cups with the right housing. The guy who swapped my gears said if you are swapping carriers there probably won't be a need to remeasure the gear spacing. But if you are swapping gears you may want to pay attention. Especially if you are swapping used gears. You want to set everything in the new carrier and maintain the same wear pattern that is on the old gears.

If you put new gears in, they eventually wear down the faces of the teeth and set together. If you change the way they mesh later down the road, you may end up with fresh gear wearing on old wear pads, which could wear it out really fast causing failure.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0104hpp_1977_pontiac_ta_axle/pinion_gear.html

89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue89 wrote:
Jake,

If you change the way they mesh later down the road, you may end up with fresh gear wearing on old wear pads, which could wear it out really fast causing failure.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0104hpp_1977_pontiac_ta_axle/pinion_gear.html

That's why you take readings before you pull the old gears out and try to match the backlash to what it was with the old carrier. And you do need to check this when putting a new carrier in. Even a couple of thousands difference in the machining of the carrier can possibly cause problems. It's so easy to check why not be sure you have it right.
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i got it all put back together and its ready to put in the car save new brake pads and a diff cover gasket, coming in thursday. this should go in as soon as the proportioning valve comes and i have a spare afternoon. Very Happy Get down and Boogie!

~JAKE

Here are a few pics:
1) what it looked like when i first pulled it

2) the 2 carriers while swapping gears

3) All tucked in nice Very Happy

4) painted up pretty and ready to go!

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun. Something I'm looking into doing before long. I already have a 10 bolt posi with 3.08 gears. I'm undecided as to how I want to do the job - Change ratio and do a disc conversion, or change the whole rear for one with disc and decent posi gears. First things first though, I'm rebuilding the front probably right after dyno Cool
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake, did you get it in yet? Did you have a manual to give you the torque specs for all the bolts?
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH YEAH!!!!! I LOVE MY CAR!! WOOT WOOT!!! Rock on! Burnout Down the hatch USA Holiday grin Lil Angel

Its done its done Get down and Boogie!

wow, i didn't think it would change too much but i but in the new rear end, posi, disc brakes, bigger sway bar, and polly bushings and endlinks.

It feels a little quicker off the line, it turns much better, and man does it stop fast "I think it stops too fast" ~my uncle who i took for a test ride Very Happy

~JAKE

Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up

Stops too fast LMAO

I like the way your are classing Betty up a bit with red.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
STEEL

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really turned out nice.....
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another job well done, Jake. Looks great, and definetly an all around upgrade... safety and performance.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome Jake! Glad to hear it went back together mostly trouble free.

Stock Mufflers FTW! Razz

Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job dude.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with stupid

I'm thinking that's going to be next on my to-do list Smile Unless I find something else that's too good to pass up on Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: