Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Had enough?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Had enough? Reply with quote

I sure have.

Girlfriend's Volvo Still doesn't run. 4 Brand spanking new injectors and Fuel pressure regulator, hell, I even deleted the leaky cold start injector.

It had a problem before where whenever you filled up with gas, the car reaked of fuel for like a day or so. Her mileage was dropping with each tank, and finally, the car barely starts and just dies again in about 30 seconds. Giving it any throttle kills it instantly.

I figure its gotta be fuel related.

I checked the fuel pump and fuel pump relay voltage with the key on. Seems ok there. pulled each one of the injectors. Two would leak fuel. Most of em looked questionable anyways, and the CS injector was definately leaking.

So I get the new injectors and FPR in last night. VOLA, she starts up.
Idle was a little irratic...turns out I had a couple vaccum lines connected in the wrong places. Change that around, and it has a nice smooth 900rpm idle. I take it around the block, seems to drive ok, but acceleration seems a little weak. I chocked it up to me being used to my car, and this being a 280K 4 cyl moving a 3800lb car.

I decide to drive the car to school today, just to make sure everything was ok.

Started it right up, threw it in reverse, get halfway out the driveway. Dies. Won't restart. Hickups like it wants to start, but never does.

I decide to pull #1's spark plug and check it. Soaked in gas...just like before with the leaky injectors...WTF? I can't see any visual leaks from the new injectors...

IAC is also buzzing when the key is in the on postion. Even with that unplugged, car still won't start.

I'm at my wits end...help?

The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something telling the injectors to fire longer than they should? How does it meter the fuel, MAF, MAP ??? Temp correction? You are probably going to need to start checking sensors, maybe get on a volvo forum, and find out how to datalog, and see what your sensors are reading.

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check fuel pressure and leak down? Most shops can also check volume flow if you can get it there. What about injector resistance?

How are the cap/rotor looking? Spark voltage okay?

You might be leaking fuel on fill-up because of a cracked fill tube on the tank. Funny things also happen cause of faulty injectors. If one is fouled or burnt up it will cause the other to run pig rich. Also if the coil is putting out weak spark.

What year is this thing? Lots of things can give you the symptoms you are experiencing. I always try to check the easy stuff first cause, well, its easy.

89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Kage87Z

1969 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried cussing at it in Swedish?

Todd Beamer - 9/11
Never Forget

My 69's story: http://myspace.com/69camaro454

My 87 Z/28's tale of woah... http://myspace.com/87Zcamaro383
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kage87Z wrote:
Have you tried cussing at it in Swedish?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Ha ha Laughing so hard it hurts Holiday grin
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually energize the fuel rail with the injectors not in the hole so you could physically see them leaking?

Sounds like a sensor problem to me too.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Did you actually energize the fuel rail with the injectors not in the hole so you could physically see them leaking?

Sounds like a sensor problem to me too.

Yes. I did. This is why I replaced the old ones, Did the same leak test on the new ones before putting the O-rings on and seating them.

I'm leaning towards either the IAC, Mass Airflow Sensor, Coolent Temp, or the inline fuel pump at this stage.

Unfortunately, all of those parts except the Coolent temp are $100+ parts so I can't exactly just throw parts at it.

John,

http://www.volvo-forums.com.

I've been subscribed to this forum for a couple weeks now.

Unfortunately taking any readings beyond basic resistance checks on the sensors and if there's voltage going from the ECM to the sensor, requires a special diagnostic reader (Basically a code reader).

The check engine light has not come on at all. So I don't think any codes are being thrown, unless the ECM itself is faulty.

Timing is set where it should be when cold. Car hasn't ran long enough to check it hot with the spark advance controler plugged in.

Travis:

Its a 1982 Volvo 244 DL. Has LH-Jettronic-1 Fuel injection. Was a one year only design, so even just finding injectors so far was a lot of leg work. Lots of places still list them on their website, very few actually carry them anymore.

Ended up ordering the injectors online from: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

I'm going to try replacing the fuel pump relay, and Coolent Temp sensor with new stuff. probably hit the junkyard and see if I can snag another inline fuel pump, and the IAC. If none of these work, I'm ready to give up on this thing.

Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check the relay and pump easily. Just jumper the pump to on with a fuel pressure gauge on. Watch the pressure make sure it stays constant.

If it does. You're fine there.

I doubt the relay would kick off after 30 seconds unless something was telling it to. But it's possible. You can also jump the relay to on and watch the same. If it doesn't magically click off I'd say it's fine.
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having a shop diagnose it shouldnt be more than 100 dollars, which would end up being less than throwing parts at it. Have them diagnose it and order the part for you, you can put it on yourself, problem solved.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sellmanb wrote:
having a shop diagnose it shouldnt be more than 100 dollars, which would end up being less than throwing parts at it. Have them diagnose it and order the part for you, you can put it on yourself, problem solved.

That was the route I finally took when my headers were giving me problems. As it turned out, I never did get it on the machine. Still would have been less than throwing the parts I had in mind at it.

Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sellmanb wrote:

hmm. I suppose concievably I could get it down to the Volvo Shop near me. Its only like 6 blocks away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: