Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The great 4x4 debate....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a couple buddies that have cherokees, one's got 6 inch lift and the other 2 have 3 inches. both are killer trail rigs, pretty easy to work on, plenty of parts and are cheap. There is something to be said for having a cheap trail rig that's easy to work on, when you break something (its inevitable), it won't be hard to get your rig back on the road.

my .02

~JAKE

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I am still leaning towards the rover, but I don't know that it is the best move, the whole british car thing scares me, last thing I need is electrical problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
Tony, I am still leaning towards the rover, but I don't know that it is the best move, the whole british car thing scares me, last thing I need is electrical problems.

electrical?

:cough: audi :cough:
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Dewey316 wrote:

electrical?

:cough: audi :cough:

Ohh I know. This is why I mention it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mrpopo573

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 with 165,000 Miles for 1800 Bucks. It went fast. 5 Speed too. I've owned enough 4.0 inline 6, they are an awesome motor.

Either Cherokee or Yota. Toyotas as we all know are pure quality.

The last landrover we had was an absolute ergonomic nightmare and just never made me feel comfortable. Just a personal dislike. Lucas Wiring in those years? Gotta love the Brits.

2000 Maxima SE 5 Speed VQ30
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpopo573 wrote:
Lucas Wiring in those years? Gotta love the Brits.

ya know they say there is a reason the British drink warm beer...Lucas also makes refrigerators.

~JAKE
mrpopo573

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

My dad built my mom a jaguar xj12 with chevy gear and I still remember being like 5 years old with my dad teaching me on how Lucas Wiring is only good for one thing, insurance claims.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey, I'm like you in that I don't want a Wrangler. I like the creature comforts and flexible use of a small SUV. I have a Cherokee because it was the least expensive 4x4 I could find that was still fairly new and reliable. (I only spent $10K when it was just 3 years old.) But I don't off road. I just want an everyday vehicle and snow rig and all I needed were bigger tires to get anywhere I need.

- Don't get the Land Rover. They are really unreliable and expensive to fix. Why do you think they lose value so fast?

- The Cherokee is probably the cheapest SUV you can find. But it needs some serious upgrades to take 33" tires.

- Full size Cherokees from the '70s have tough running gear. Just lift and go. It's a pig though. And forget about the car-like feel of modern SUV's.

- Believe it or not the older Ford Explorer is actually quite capable. You just don't see many because of the soccer mom image. Lift kits are out there and they can take sizable tires.

- Ford Ranger pickup can be great and will take larger tires than the Cherokee. Put on a canopy and you have clean storage for your gear.

- Isuzu Vehicross... now that's unusual! I think it has a Dana 44 rear, too.

- I think the old Isuzu Rodeo came with a Dana 44 rear and might even be full frame.

- I think earlier full size Chevy Blazers and Ford Broncos came with solid front axles.

- Toyota Land Cruiser. Stylin' but bound to make you look like a snob compared to other junkers on the trail. You can find them with optional front and rear lockers, and center differential lock up.
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the toyota van?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E4skJ763zjM

~JAKE Laughing
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

The problems that I see with the Rovers always seem to be stupid crap, like door locks and stuff. Yeah it would be a bit annoying, but for something that i really only plan to use off-road, and in crappy weather, I think i could deal with some stupid lights and switching not working all the time. The only real draw to me about the rover, is they do make amazingly capable off-road rigs, from the factory they will take a 45% side slope, and can go through some pretty deep water.

At least you understand my not wanting a wrangler. As I said, I can appreciate their off-road ability, but I want something that I can put a cooler in the back, and still use the back seats.

Like I said, the discussion is good, and I probably won't even start really looking for something to buy, until next spring. I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons of each rig.

--John
85 T/A WS6

1985 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Your best bet would be to roll a newer Yota. You can crank the torsion bars and fit 35"s.

Laughing Laughing I did this once with a 85 Nissan 4X, man was I sorry.

Would a K5 Blazer work for ya?
http://portland.craigslist.org/search/car?query=K5&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max&addTwo=
Nathan J

1986 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do the jeep or the yota run away from the disco's there pos, we have so many of them in my yard, under powerd and i think 2 of the 20 that we have made it over 100k before the engine went. plus if you think going to the audi dealer is $$$ just go to a land rover dealer i have people with bmw and all kinds of spendy cars say that the rover stuff is atleast x2. good one is the power seat switchs 90s disco 250+bucks at the dealer. any kinds of lights 300+bucks its a joke. if you want a trail rig look at the yoda's of the jeeps. I my self like the toyotas there light and you can put some gears in them and go anywhere you want. If you can deal with all the wiring problems in the land rovers thats cool just watch for the engine It will die on you some where around the 75-125k mile range. engines cost anywhere from 1800 for a high mile/maybe some noise too around 4500+ bucks for one in the 40k-60k mile range. just tryen to tell ya some of the problems with them and its really any land rover that uses that engine. they have used that engine for 50+years but these things are so heavy it just runs the crap out of them and wears them out. now darn that was a long post hehe.

Nathan

4th gen rear soon 9in ford rear
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bought a gorgeous '91 4x4 Isuzu Rodeo (same as Honda Passport) a few weeks back for $2000. It had the nice factory alloy wheels and big tires with matching spare on the back. It had a GM TBI 2.8L. The body was straight and the paint was decent (2 tone silver and grey). It also had an aftermarket brush guard and tubular grill guard with KC fog lights. With about $1000 into various minor fixes, I could have made it really nice. They didn't change the body between the early '90s through 2000s (just the bumpers/grill) so the older ones still look modern. Unfortunately it sold within about 1 hour of me looking at it. However I see them cheap on Craigs List all the time so who knows...
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:

The problems that I see with the Rovers always seem to be stupid crap, like door locks and stuff. Yeah it would be a bit annoying, but for something that i really only plan to use off-road, and in crappy weather, I think i could deal with some stupid lights and switching not working all the time.

Your needs in a 4x4 might differ from mine. Pure off road capability isn't that important to me, a well built, tough, and reliable rig is everything. Remember two years ago at the dyno gathering, Jen and I left here a 3:00 am and drove the first 125 miles of a 275 mile trip in the worst white out I have ever seen. In the dark with visability so bad I was using the snow bank on the side of the road as a guide. Running the heater, lights, and wipers, plus running in 4 wheel drive the whole time. I would never have tried that with a 4x4 that has a ton of electrical gremlins or a real light duty drivetrain in it. If your going to jump in it in the winter and go up in the mountains you need to be sure that it will get you back home. The early Cherokee's sound like a solid rig.

You guys laugh at my choice in owning a Ford, but I'm not afraid to get in it and tackle most challanges.
mrpopo573

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
Dewey316 wrote:

The problems that I see with the Rovers always seem to be stupid crap, like door locks and stuff. Yeah it would be a bit annoying, but for something that i really only plan to use off-road, and in crappy weather, I think i could deal with some stupid lights and switching not working all the time.

Your needs in a 4x4 might differ from mine. Pure off road capability isn't that important to me, a well built, tough, and reliable rig is everything. Remember two years ago at the dyno gathering, Jen and I left here a 3:00 am and drove the first 125 miles of a 275 mile trip in the worst white out I have ever seen. In the dark with visability so bad I was using the snow bank on the side of the road as a guide. Running the heater, lights, and wipers, plus running in 4 wheel drive the whole time. I would never have tried that with a 4x4 that has a ton of electrical gremlins or a real light duty drivetrain in it. If your going to jump in it in the winter and go up in the mountains you need to be sure that it will get you back home. The early Cherokee's sound like a solid rig.

You guys laugh at my choice in owning a Ford, but I'm not afraid to get in it and tackle most challanges.

A great example of the real purpose, in my mind, of owning a 4x4. Huge lifts and tires that howl to the moon are fun add ons, but the pure essence of owning a 4x4 is to tackle the stuff mentioned above. And still keeping the lady warm and the car streetable.

mrpopo573

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dewey you like?

Limited, fully loaded with everything you dont need but the ladies love. Heated seats, memory control, a kitchen sink....

This is at the lot now and I really wish I could have it for winter driving down 101 South.

For the record its a 1999 with 50k miles on a factory replacement motor due to factory flaw. Not an inline 6 obviously.

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actualy, I am looking for a toy, lol. Zee Audi, is great for winter driving, unless it gets really deep (which, well, this is portland). I am not looking for a rig to drive everyday. I am looking for something that I can take out and have fun with, and can load up with a cooler and a tent and head out camping with. Yeah I want something reasonably reliable, but this isn't going to be my driver, its going to be a trail rig first. So things like aftermarket support, and accesories available are a big factor for me.

As I am looking more and more at the XJ options, it looks like it could be a pretty cheap build up. I was checking out the rubicon express site, along with a couple of XJ forums. So a question for the guys who have actualy wheeled in jeeps.

Long-Arms, how nescesary are they? I see about 50/50 on the jeep boards of guys who go long-arm, vs guys who stay short-arm. I looks like on an XJ I am going to be needing to go with a 5.5"-6" lift to really fit 33's (35's if I wanted to upgrade and do some fender triming/hacking). I get the whole purpose of long arms, and would like to, but is it really going to make $500 worth of diffrence on the trail?

Second, axles.... it looks like all the XJ's have D30 front, with a whole laundry list of rear ends. I assume with a little abuse the D30 is going to give out. Would I need to start looking for a D40/44 housing, or would the next move be to upgrade to HD axles, any need to PLAN on going bigger, or just plan on upgrading the axles and carrier/gears. Advice here would be huge, when I am looking at all this, the package price is going to be a big deal, so I am trying to plan on what stuff I will need to upgrade, or need to plan on breaking.

--John
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popo-- I'd be looking for an XJ, I would something that is going to live its life off-road, the grand cherokee with the IFS and stuff doesn't really fit the bill. The off road capability is factor #1.

Like I said in my other post, the Audi is going to be my winter driver, it has heated leather, and all that jazz, and is AWD and great in the snow, with the e-locker in back.

You find an XJ without rust, and a good drivetrain, for el cheapo (remeber, I am going to modify it, i don't want to spend all the much), let me know. Basicly I am looking for a $2-$4 purchase cost, and then throw another $2k at it in mods. I would like to stay around $5k total in getting something running, then I can deal with what breaks after that.

--John
mrpopo573

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I was only playing anyways, I know you are looking for something to just enjoy and get dirty, not a soccer mom express.

Then again, when the lama gets hitched and makes little lamas, you might want to upgrade... Shocked Smile

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpopo573 wrote:
Then again, when the lama gets hitched and makes little lamas, you might want to upgrade... Shocked Smile

Best joke of the year. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: