Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do i change out my U-joints?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: how do i change out my U-joints? Reply with quote

like i said. I got new ones but am not sure the best way to start this project.

thanks,

~JAKE

Mangus

1989 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: how do i change out my U-joints? Reply with quote

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:
like i said. I got new ones but am not sure the best way to start this project.

thanks,

~JAKE

Unbolt the clips (2 per end) that hold the u-joints to the yoke and pinion and pull the u-joint 't', replace them with the new ones, and use new clips to re-attach them.

If you don't have one, a Chilton's or Hayne's manual will go a very long way. =) I have both (and the factory service manual, which are very expensive for our cars).
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: how do i change out my U-joints? Reply with quote

Mangus wrote:

Unbolt the clips (2 per end) that hold the u-joints to the yoke and pinion and pull the u-joint 't', replace them with the new ones, and use new clips to re-attach them.

If you don't have one, a Chilton's or Hayne's manual will go a very long way. =) I have both (and the factory service manual, which are very expensive for our cars).

haha cool thanks. I was worried that i would have to drop out the rear end. Razz

~JAKE
Mangus

1989 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: how do i change out my U-joints? Reply with quote

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:
Mangus wrote:

haha cool thanks. I was worried that i would have to drop out the rear end. Razz

~JAKE

Nope, it's pretty simple. It will probably take you 15 minutes (30 if you've never been underneath a car).
82camaro383
12sec Club

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still using the factory u-joint, you have to heat them with a torch to remove them from the driveline. I had to change mine a week ago.
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

82camaro383 wrote:
If you are still using the factory u-joint, you have to heat them with a torch to remove them from the driveline. I had to change mine a week ago.

there's little "plastic" dots on the driveline at the end holding the u-joints in. Heat up around that area lightly until it starts to ooze out of those dots. Then you can just pry up on the u-joints and replace.

Dont go hog wild w/ the heat, it will degrade the metal and make it more prone to becoming out of phase the more heat is applied.
Mangus

1989 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, yeah, as the others pointed out, there is a little bit of coersion involved.
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sellmanb wrote:
82camaro383 wrote:

there's little "plastic" dots on the driveline at the end holding the u-joints in. Heat up around that area lightly until it starts to ooze out of those dots. Then you can just pry up on the u-joints and replace.

Dont go hog wild w/ the heat, it will degrade the metal and make it more prone to becoming out of phase the more heat is applied.

torch? Shocked what am i melting in there? am i gonna have to replace whatever I'm melting?

~JAKE
Mangus

1989 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:

torch? Shocked what am i melting in there? am i gonna have to replace whatever I'm melting?

~JAKE

Grease. Yes, you need to replace the grease. The needle bearings need to be packed well w/ grease. Some u-joints come with zerk fittings, in which case you can grease it after installation.
izcain
9sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to put a scribe mark in one side of the pinion and drive line to give you a reference point since some drive lines were a balanced fit. It is a good habit to make even if the drive line is perfectly balanced occasionally you will come across some that aren't.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:
Sellmanb wrote:
82camaro383 wrote:

~JAKE

What you're melting is (as I understand it) a sort of hard teflon. Once it's out, there's no injecting it back in, thus why new u-joints come w/ clips to hold them in place, that werent there before.

As for greasing the joints, that's always a good idea if you have a zerk fitting on the joint. If you dont have a zerk fitting on the joint, then dont worry about tapping one in, it's just not made to have one.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to a driveline shop. Period.

It will need a balance. You can't get our style in there perfect to have it like factory. Sometimes you can get lucky.

If it was the clip style like the 60's 70's era then yeah you can do it yourself just fine.

Brandon has experiance with the lack of balance too!

Driveline shop I've been too is very reasonable. U-joints are a headache to do yourself anyway.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM didnt bother machining our yokes true. They used a jig that held the driveline straight then pushed the u-joint in centered. The plastic was then injected to hold the u-joint in that position. Sometimes when you put a replacement joint in you'll get offcenter, because the joint is now centered with the clips on the inside of the yoke. Mine is this way. Get over 85 and things get rough. Wasnt this way before changing the u-joints. I got a nice chromemoly shaft to put in to cure this.. too bad its 2" too long at hte moment.
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the cost of a driveline shop (and having to drive to the shop if there's none near you) you could get an aluminum LS1 driveshaft for roughly the same price (I'd seen them about a year ago going for ~85 dollars). May be a better way to go, less headache, more go-fast Wink
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: how do i change out my U-joints? Reply with quote

Mangus wrote:
*snip*(and the factory service manual, which are very expensive for our cars).

wow, i was about to link to helm, where they are 35$. but they are 75$. price went up since i got mine. Shocked
Mangus

1989 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: how do i change out my U-joints? Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
Mangus wrote:
*snip*(and the factory service manual, which are very expensive for our cars).

wow, i was about to link to helm, where they are 35$. but they are 75$. price went up since i got mine. Shocked

Find me one for an '89 for less than $90 and I'll be impressed.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through 2 aluminum drivelines before I found one that wasn't bent. No driveline shop in the Vancouver/Portland area can UN-bend aluminum drivelines. You don't even want to know what it costs to have a new tube welded on around here. Might as well buy a carbon fiber.... or two.

So unless you're lucky, an aluminum is not necessarily the way to go. I never noticed a single bit of difference putting one on, plus it's bigger and in the way. When I go with the 9" I'm sure I'll shred this one, and be getting a steel driveline with larger joints in the back.
alloy
T56 Elitist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
I never noticed a single bit of difference putting one on, plus it's bigger and in the way.

My experience was totally different from yours. I got my aluminum shaft off a 90 GTA in a wrecking yard for $45. Put a new rear u-joint in it and I noticed the difference in the smoothness and less vibration by the time I got into second gear. I'd read somewhere the aluminum shafts were balanced to a higher standard than the steel ones were. There were definately more balance weights on the aluminum shaft than on my old steel one.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about factory but I know some driveline shops down here balance at different rpms. I know one balances at 500rpm while another is over 3000rpm. Figure 4th gear is 1:1 so your driveline is turning at the rpm you're running.
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got em changed out yesterday, much more of a pain than I thought. I ended up beating the sh*t out them to get em out! turns out that wasn't the knocking I've been hearing all along Sad oh well, at least I know I have good U-joints now.

BTW, one of em is a bit squeaky... Confused is it cuz i zerked in too much grease? or not enough? I hope I'm not killing my new u-joint.

~JAKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: