Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alum heads sbc/ am I all wrong ????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott in wa.

1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Alum heads sbc/ am I all wrong ???? Reply with quote

Iam looking at Brodax and Dart heads
I want to turn our new motor above 6,500 rpms. Maybe to 8,000 rpm max
So the 220cc heads, or 230cc would do it, these heads would make 50+ more HP at 7,000 RPM. It's a trade off but we want the high end horse power. I don't think we will notice a difference in low-end torque compared to what we have now.

These heads are running from $1,000 to $2,000 bucks.\
I would like your thought on some serious aluminum heads and runner size, 200, 220, 230, ????
And what are you running as far as heads, and do you like? What would you do different?
Thanks
Scott

Last edited by scott in wa. on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to get aluminums... which WILL be my next head purchase.

I'd get the brand new CNC Brodix KC IK 210s. They flow like MOTHERS!

I'd get em bare and have a reputable shop AKA chevymad, put in my hardware.

I have Iron Pro Topline's right now and I've had nothing but trouble with them and they don't put out the power they should. Plus side is they have fat decks so you can mill them and lots of extra material for porting.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does runner CC's change things? Is this just the bowl and runner volume in the head? Seems like bigger is better? Whats the limit? I see http://www.eportworks.com/lt1.html sells some that are 220cc at 410-430. How big can you go? SOrry for all the questions, but I just was thinking about it and you made this post.
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
scott in wa.

1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: well Reply with quote

It depends on how much rpms you can turn with the lower end, and of course, you have to have a short block built with RPMS power in mind.
But.
What I have been reading is.
The bigger the runners, the higher rpms you are able to run, with a large increase in horse power in the upper range.

So say you had a built 383, with alum heads 200 cc runners you wouldn't have as much horse power at high rpms, BUT you would have more low end torque. Where if you had 230 cc runners you wouldn't have as much torque in the lower end but you would be able to rev the crap out of that motor like 8 + grand, where you would gain a few ponies as long as everything is setup for those rpms...

That’s what I have been reading.

Can some one else chime in????
How about that guy with the 10 sec. 1/4 mile car, he has to be running some big runners if it’s a sbc I suspect.

ahhh
I see

izcain

Modification Trick Flow 23 degree heads CNC'd full ported and polished

I see his peak hp is at 6283.000 must be a torque monster.......
sure is a sweep car

Scott
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://totalengineairflow.com/products/gmhead/tfs18deg/

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want serious power then you could do 18 degree heads but it requires other custom features and is probably overkill. For standard heads Trick Flow has a reputation for making power. Frankly, there are a lot of heads out there that will do the job. Spend your money on porting work. That's where you'll get the real power.
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
If you want serious power then you could do 18 degree heads but it requires other custom features and is probably overkill. For standard heads Trick Flow has a reputation for making power. Frankly, there are a lot of heads out there that will do the job. Spend your money on porting work. That's where you'll get the real power.

well he said he wanted high end ... Laughing

I'm fairly set on having TEA do my head porting work, they've done some amazing things for the LSx's and to my knowledge are pretty reputable for the traditional SBC head as well
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pff, that is still nothing.

If you REALLY want flow.... Arao 32v heads.

http://www.araoengineering.com/Chevy/chevysmb.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nathan J

1986 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfft 32v waste of time just put a sb2.2 set up on and let it go heh. but anyway rpm is not the only thing to look at when picking the cc of a head. a 230cc on a 355 is alot of head for it it better be a 12.1+ engine high lift cam and a carb to even make it worth it. why do you want to spin high rpm?? might as well make the hp down lower and keep the engine togeather longer. i run a ported 200cc head on my 383 i might go bigger bec of the nitrous but thats down the road. a buddy of mine ran afr 227 on his 406sbc but it was a 600hp sb with no bottle all out race engine so really do some research and pick the right head bec if you go to big you will feal the loss in the low end.
4th gen rear soon 9in ford rear
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pffffhhtt to all of you! Street car heaven....

http://www.coatesengine.com/technology.html

I looked into these about 8 years ago when I was fresh out of college, living at home, and stupid with my money. Unfortunately, the company refused to make a set for me.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think we had the coates engine discusion back in the day on TGO. Would be super cool if they ever came out with it for production.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit that my trick flows have given me a ton of problems in the beginning but I took care of all of that after numerous calls to the R&D department of trickflow, trickflow has since combated these issues and are MUCH MUCH better. I ended up taking my heads all apart myself and building them right. Now im not going for 8k plus but I do spin up above 7k from time to time in the 1/4. The dyno I think was a little off compared to my tach. If you wanna build big power I would say go for the 230 range but your going to have to do ALOT to move that amount of air. Mine started out as 195 castings but they are a whole lot more then that now! Wink With the right comparenets and having it dialed in right you can have the potential of making big power out of a smaller runner.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: