Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody interested in a CPK Dinner on Monday February 5th?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it gets touchy.

If you work in Oregon, you have to pay income tax (as far as I know). Now, if you are BUYING a house, WA may be the way to go (I think Oregon property tax is higher). Paul would probably be better to explain this, since he does live in WA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you work in Oregon, you will pay Oregon income tax regardless of where you live.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right-o ... guess that sort of helps my decision along till I'm ready for a more permanent housing situation ...

tired of renting and wish I could get on a property still being developed so have more input on what goes where and how in a house (IE taller garage *ahem*) ... down in Brownsville, TX there are developing properties that don't require down payments, but cost of living down there is insanely cheap, 4200 sq ft for under 900 a month.... that also appealed to me but its also beccause its close to mexico, which didn't appeal to me (in some ways haha)

meh, guess we'll see where things go from here on out.
I'd not be against things further out in a cheaper property with a "fixxer upper" house... I always enjoy things like that
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live/work in washington. It's cheaper and we maintain our roads better! Laughing

Mike's right. You work in O you pay O. And it's a PITA to file when your a non-resident.

I don't recommend living in wa and working in O though because the traffic is hellish going across the river.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically:

Living in WA> Living in OR

M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quasi-Traction wrote:
Basically:

Based on what?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quasi-Traction wrote:
Basically:

meh, honestly I can go either way... the old highway between Molalla and Salem is a blast and the road is in great condition (or was, anyway), and like was mentioned before, the traffic going into Oregon is a bitch most times of the day...

if I'm going to be paying the taxes regardless, I'd rather just live in Oregon, I mean, I'd be going into oregon for shopping and whatnot anyway, so it's not like I'm really going to notice a difference...

and though the property taxes may be higher, in the general 30-45 minute radius in any direction, property tends to be a bit cheaper in the oregon area than the washington, at least as far as I've seen (not talking like new homes, but a bit older homes)

if there were a CPK in Vancouver I'd likely work there, however, having a GM at the Oregon location who I've previously worked with for two years is a big plus until I get into management (and even then its still a big plus)... by then, there should be one or two more locations in the general area, thus, making my decision on where to live and buy a house after renting some more, a little more entertaining.

thanks for the info guys Smile
should be a blast to start my way up there
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some serious home shopping in Sept... you get alot more for what you pay for in Vancouver, in the older home market.

Just my experiance. The ones I looked at in P-Town were in shambles, but livable for the same price in vanc.

The drive over the bridge to O is fine after 9am. Returning sucks 3pm-730pm
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
I did some serious home shopping in Sept... you get alot more for what you pay for in Vancouver, in the older home market.

Just my experiance. The ones I looked at in P-Town were in shambles, but livable for the same price in vanc.

The drive over the bridge to O is fine after 9am. Returning sucks 3pm-730pm
I was actually thinking outside of town a bit, not closer to the main part of town...

there are a few places in the molalla/mulino part of town that are ideal... 2 or 3 bedroom houses in need of some love, good prices, and plenty of room for say... a larger garage addition and some other fun stuff...

that's not too far from what I'd be looking for, even if its say, an older farm style house in need of some serious updating ... I can basically do most of the plumbing, electrical and wiring and a small amount of framing and drywall work to code and pass an inspection (for home anyway haha)...

I'm not against newer of course, by any means, but I'm going to try my hardest to stay out of the main hustle and bustle of city life Wink

not sure if theres much like that in the vancouver area yet, still haven't looked in that direction. It's not going to happen the moment I move up there, unfortunately, but if I can find something right away I'd also not say no...

but if homes are truly cheaper in vancouver that will probably sway my decisions a bit as well

how is the AM traffic usually? either very early at say, 5:30ish?

going to have to find some real estate agents up yonder if that is the case as well...

so many thoughts, yargh
sorry !
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schultzy89GTA wrote:
Quasi-Traction wrote:
Basically:

Based on what?

Property Cost/Value. Utilities were about the same price B/t OR and WA.

I paid 200 less for an apartment off of 134th and 4th plain, about 2 years ago than I did for one down off of Johnson Creek road about a year ago.

However, commuting from WA to OR for work blows, Paul's exactly right about that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Event Calendar All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: