Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On the subject of things that go bang....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: On the subject of things that go bang.... Reply with quote

So ive been toying around with the idea of picking up a handgun, dont know too much about them other than how to clean/fire them, ive always been big on rifles and im looking to lean more towards the CCW side of the house, anyone have experience with .45's? ive been eyeing up the Taurus 24/7 45 ACP OSS, only complaints ive seen about it are the magazine ejecting at bad times (theres a fix for it) and for the weapon jamming out of the box, after reading for the past week or so on it ive found that people load up the magazines and let them sit to relieve some spring tension, and apparently you have to strip and clean it. Personally im not against two minor issues for a decent gun under 400$

if anyone has any experience in the area id like to hear your input on this

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get either a Glock or the Springfield XD-45 with the tritium night sights. Gun is no good in the dark if you can't aim with the sights. Both were designed for military and both are excellent. They'll be $400 lightly used. Load it with 45 ACP "Lawman" ammo. It's a full metal jacket that will penetrate vehicles and such, if you need to shoot through something like that.

A lot of people want a 1911 model but it is kind of finicky about working right unless the maker is really good. Being really good means lots of money. I wouldn't get the Taurus. Guns with issues are not the kind of gun I want in my hand when my life depends on it.

A lot of people focus on entry price of the gun and forget the fact that they will spend thousands of dollars on ammo. You might as well buy the gun you want because it's not a lot extra when you look at the overall cost.
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid points lol the oss model has been surpassed by the 24/7g2, supposedly the jam issue has not been a problem for the new line, and they all have second strike, if theres a failure to fire the bolt strikes again to expend the round, the oss comes with novak sights, but the g2 is easily upgradable with the same sights, not looking to defend my life exactly it would be more of a recreational thing for now, and the Taurus has an ils which you can only get on a glock by ordering it out of the USA, Idk the price range sounds good and its got the piccany (spelling?) Rail for laser/flashlight, not a necessary thing but who doesn't want a freakin laser on their gun?! Lol Luke swears by the glock 23 I believe it was, I figured we could pick our own and see how they compare. I'm gonna look into the local range and see if they have a 24/7g2 to test out and see how I like it, and I've got a few buddies whose brains I can pick about them, I keep hearing get a glock so maybe that's where ill end up lol the g2 is a 15+1 .40 and from what I've read the magazine issue is from people not being used to an ambidextrious ejection setup.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sig p220. Its the 3rd or 4th sig Ive shot and never had a single issue from any of them.
20ft Longhorn Car Hauler
cameron7710

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we'll me and my brother are gun nuts and i would say stay a way from any taurus for self defense, unless its a revlover. if you want somthing to carry id go with any glock, springfeild xd or SW M&P. but those are more than the 400 your tryin to spend but when it comes to your life its worth the extra couple hundred. but if all you can spend is 400 your best bet is a sw simga .40 . that was my brothers first gun and it has never jamed or messed up in anyway. plus SW did get sued by glock for making the sigma pretty much identical to glocks. but if you are going to carry daily (like everyone should) a thing people dont think about to much is that size matters. to big of a gun and it is going to be to hard to conceal and just gets in the way to much. this is why my brother stopped carrying the sigma (even tho it isnt very big compared to a lot of guns) and got a compact glock 10mm. so do keep size in mind other wise you will find your self leaving it and home from time to time and thats probley when you will end up needing it. plus another thing to think about with glocks is that if you like moding things glocks are great cause they sell every thing for them. even tho there are a lot of glock fanboys out there that say glocks are prefect and you souldnt change anything on them cause there prefect. you can always improve on prefect Very Happy , cause my brothers glock 29 is awesome with all the mods we've done to it. its got trueglo TFO night sights ,pinky extension for mags, extended slide lock, extended take down levers, maritime spring cups, gost 3.5 pound trigger connector, tungsten steel competition guide rod with 19 pound recoil spring, lone wolf barrel and a costume slide plate cover (just for looks) and with all that its one badass gun but did cost a lot after everything was done.

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no one ever plans on needing to defend their life. We have a S&W 9mm and it goes enough bang to drop someone on their ass. I'd love a .45 but eh. Kimber obviously is a great gun but expensive. I try to stay as close to S&W as I can. But Ruger and Remmington both have great firearms. Luke wanted to get a glock 40 and knows a guy that has one. I doubt Luke's going to buy it so ask him about it. As a personal preference I like the stubbier semi-autos, but the 1911s are nice too. Just depends on what you like and what feels comfortable. Although if you're looking for something for target practice, my dad just picked up a Ruger .22 semi auto for about $400 or so(looks like an m4) but is a lot of fun to shoot. I'm sure it'd drop someone just the same with a few extra rounds. Something a little bigger I might go for a 30/30 but I like my 30.06. Plenty of boom. Twisted Evil Revolvers are fun too, but I'd rather have 12+ rounds in a clip vs 6 in a revolver. Or 8 if you have a .22. Some gun my grandpa had was some sort of hybrid pistol. You could shoot either IIRC .410 shotgun ammo or .357 mag ammo. I may be wrong on the sizes, but it was sweet.
cameron7710

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonsensekid20 wrote:
Some gun my grandpa had was some sort of hybrid pistol. You could shoot either IIRC .410 shotgun ammo or .357 mag ammo. I may be wrong on the sizes, but it was sweet.

the s&w governor or the taurus judge shoot the .410 and 45 long colt and the governor even shoots 45 acp with the mid clips. and as far as 9mms go i dont like them for self defense cause when target shooting they have trouble knocking down steel targets so id rather have somthing with a little more power.

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with Cameron about the S&W glock lookalikes. It was my first gun, and it jammed about 1 in 20. Another friend of mine has one, same thing.
cameron7710

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

91RSVert wrote:
I disagree with Cameron about the S&W glock lookalikes. It was my first gun, and it jammed about 1 in 20. Another friend of mine has one, same thing.
hmm thats wierd,but they can't all be prefect. But my brother has a .40 and my grampa has a 9mm and we put a few hundred rounds through each of them when ever we go shooting and they never jamed expt the 9mm once but that was only once and it was during the break in period when guns always jam and the .40 has never jamed even during break in.
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best thing to do, is to go shoot a bunch of the guns you are looking at, and find the one that you are comfortable with. Really a lot of the other stuff is just opinion and people who like what they own.

IF a gun has jamming problems right out of the gate, get it fixed, work with a smith and the manufacture, they will get it sorted. But, what they can't do, is make a gun that is uncomfortable in your hand, easy to shoot. So, find the ones that works for YOU. There are several options in .45 ACP, the big thing will come down to if you want single or double stack mags, and the size you want. It will depend a lot on if you plan to carry the gun, or it it is only an at home gun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BluFbdy

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the plan lol comfort and ease of use is key along with reliability, talked to my brother who's had a lot of Taurus experience and he said its hit or miss, he got one the kept jamming and he just cleaned it really well, shot a few hundred rounds through it and hasn't had a failure since, from what I can tell its user preference, I gotta spend a day at a range and figure out what I like
nonsensekid20

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all guns will jam sooner or later if you don't keep them clean. Hell, my uncles Kimber custom jammed a couple times. Although if you're looking for a really concealed carry, he just picked up a KalTech .380. Can't say I care for the heavy trigger pull with it being a single action (no hammer) but if you take out the clip you can hardly tell you're actually holding a firearm.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dads sig .380 has a stiff trigger as well. Wonder if thats planned on the .380 for being a CC gun?
nonsensekid20

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience all single action weapons have heavy trigger pulls. Even my 9 shot 22 even though its double action if i dont pull the hammer back its a really heavy pull. Our 44 actually isn't too bad, but still. I'd rather have a semi auto or a double action. I don't like not having the hammer pulled. But I guess for hammerless CC weapons it's kind of necessary.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a note of hybrids. They also used to make a gun called the game getter which had pistol grip with like a 12 to 18 inch barrel...22 and .44 cal I believe

Last edited by jchaussee on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned several .45s, mostly Colts and one AMT (as well as many other guns). The Colt M1911 is a great weapon. They are a little bulky to carry, but you can get used to that. My AMT was a long-slide (like the one in Terminator minus the laser sight). It was very impracticle to carry and the long-slide meant for a long cycle time, but it looked cool!
nonsensekid20

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes, the game getter. Which I believe was featured in Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater. They described it as a SAA .45 but it had the same folding stock. haha
Kage87Z

1969 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a Colt Government, PPK 380 (Wife's) and a Taurus .357.

No problems with any of them... and I go out with the Colt and a spare magazine.

Todd Beamer - 9/11
Never Forget

My 69's story: http://myspace.com/69camaro454

My 87 Z/28's tale of woah... http://myspace.com/87Zcamaro383
'92 camaro boss

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I use a Makarov PM for a daily carry. My uncle swayed me into getting an XDM 9, my Makarov shoots flawless and has yet to have a single problem. Tho it's a smaller caliber if you know how to shoot, it does its job.
The XDM Is an amazing gun tho. So if modern is your thing, XD's are the best way to go IMO, pick your caliber.
d00012

2007 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sig P250 compact in .40 S&W and .357 SIG. I currently use the .357 SIG, which is a necked down .40 casing. Has great penetration and stopping power. The compact is still a good sized handgun and can be used effectively over 25 yards.

500 rounds and it hasn't failed yet. Super easy to clean, .357 SIG ammo is $15.99 for 50 lead-free bullets.

13+1 capacity
Nightsights

Can be swapped to a 9mm or .45, compact or full size.

I tested several handguns before choosing this one. Surprisingly, outperformed the more expensive P220 when I tested both at a range. Both were extremely dirty and 9mm.

The P250 is however a double-action ONLY trigger. Every pull of the trigger is long, and can hurt accuracy if not practiced enough. Because of this, there is no safety, the firearm will not fire unless the trigger is pulled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: