Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What wattage resistors do I need for VATS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: What wattage resistors do I need for VATS? Reply with quote

The resistor pellet came out of my only ignition key and disappeared. I can spend a fortune getting a locksmith to figure out which key I need then make one, or I can disable the VATS system by running a resistor between the wires to fool the system for a couple bucks. Easy choice.

I know all the possible Ohms I need, but I need to know if I should get 1/4, 1/2 or 1 watt resistors. Judging by their size, it looks like the 1/2 watt ones are the same as the old pellet in my key, but I thought I better ask someone who has already done this.

Last edited by 90RSrocks on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Camaro350Z28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would just go and get a new key from GM... it actually doesnt run that much.. i believe they told me about $40... that was at curt warner chevrolet in vancouver

1997 Z28 PCMforLess tune, K&N CAI, trickflow elbow, 160 thermostat, edelbrock shorty headers, Flowmaster 3", 18" cragars.
Best 1/4 - 13.8 @ 101.98 60' 2.27
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to do that, but as I said, I don't have the resistor pellet so I don't know which one I need. It costs alot to have a locksmith come out and test to see which one it takes (I was quoted $100 for the service call and $25 for the key). I called a couple dealerships and they don't have VATS info on file for my car. Sad
CheezX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird, they should be able to do it just from your VIN. I don't think they'll give it out over the phone though, that would be too easy.

If you really get stuck just get one of the guys down there to burn you a chip with VATS disabled. You have the exact same ECM as the 90-92 TPI V8s. Wiring harness is pretty close too, in fact, you should just swap in a V8, lol!
ET phone hoME

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they cant take it from your vin. i see 2 solutions

a. remove barrel from steering column, get all 9 vat keys from locksmith (non-cut, make sure you can return them) proceed to test each key in the barrel and turn on the car with a socket screwdriver. then take the right key in and get it cut and return the others. i think they are $25 us each.

b. google for vat resistor values and buy all of them for $.05 us each and wire one in at a time untill you figure out which it is. if you ever plan to sell the car again i would go with option A

90RSrocks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheezy, I tried a couple dealers and they both said they have info for newer models but not from '90. Also, I wish I could drop a V8 in there, but I probably wouldn't be able to get tags for it ever again.

ET, I thought about doing that, but I don't know if I can find a locksmith that would let me borrow them so I can see which one is correct. There are 15 keys for VATS. I suppose I could temporarily "buy" them and then return all but the correct one, but I don't want to lay out 15 x $25 if I can avoid it.

I already bought a complete set of 1/2 Watt resistors of the correct Ohms and tried wiring every one of them in, but still nothing. I wish I knew if it needs the 1/4 Watt resistors or what.
Confused
CheezX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleh, I don't know what crack those GM dealers are smoking. My Firebird is a '90 and the parts guy can cut me a key anytime, ignition or door (although that doesn't matter since my locks appear to have been changed).

Resistor wattage shouldn't matter, those wires are tiny. you do have to wait a time period between trying the different resistors though. If it sees the wrong resistance it'll disabled itself for a few minutes. I read on TGO a while back that a guy was able to get it working by ground one of the VATS wires. Seems too easy though.
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that does sound too easy. Maybe I'll give it a try though, can't hurt. I didn't realize that wattage wouldn't matter, that makes it simpler. I was disconnecting the battery between tries and only waiting a minute or so. Could Vats still be in disable mode even after disconnecting the battery for a minute?

If so, maybe that's the problem. I would have to just be patient and wait 5 minutes or so between tests.
CheezX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the airbag module has its own backup reserve of electricity, maybe VATS is similar. The service manual would tell you everything you need to know.
90RSrocks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure would, I gotta get one of those next time I see one on eBay or somewhere.
ET phone hoME

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could 'buy' like 3 keys at once, then return them, and try again.
CheezX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember the GM dealer here having some VATS device that plugs into your car and figures out which resistance you need. Something that may help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: