Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small truck survey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
I bet you haven't even thought of it.


Oh I did think of it. I thought about several utilities and wagons. I was thinking about a 2wd Blazer, a 'Roo wagon, and maybe even a Benz diesel wagon. Cool

My main problem with all those is that I hate open-cab vehicles. They take longer to warm up in the winter, you smell all the sh*t you carry around, can't hose house the back of them. They're just a lot of trouble for a guy like me.

I've also been thinking about replacing the sacked-out suspension components on the Mazder and either rebuilding the F2 or finding something else to swap into it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fiveoformula
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: OR

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only S10 I would get (for a daily) is one with a 4.3 in either first or second gen. Don't confuse the crap 2.2 cavalier motor that came in a later S10 as an ecotec. Its not, the real ecotec is a really good engine with minimal problems. That 2.2 in the S10 is more on par with the old iron duke.
_________________


'88 FORMULA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiveoformula wrote:
The only S10 I would get (for a daily) is one with a 4.3 in either first or second gen. Don't confuse the crap 2.2 cavalier motor that came in a later S10 as an ecotec. Its not, the real ecotec is a really good engine with minimal problems. That 2.2 in the S10 is more on par with the old iron duke.


I think I'd do a 3.4/3.5 setup before a 4.3

_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
fiveoformula
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: OR

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I suppose for fuel economies sake that makes sense but if you were to just go out and buy a pickup, the 4.3 is super reliable, seen plenty up around 250k, good low end power. If you did have time to slap together and swap in a 3.4hybrid just to get the extra MPG then I could see it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only benefit of the 4.3L is longevity. Everything else about it is inferior to a good 60* motor.

I built an S10 with a 3.1 and it was a good all-around truck. The body and wiring was the typical cheap, poorly designed GM clusterf**k but the drivetrain was rock solid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
91RSVert
Member


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 2736
Location: AR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, hes looking for something fairly reliable. My experience with hybrid motors is not reliable.

You could do the 3.4 and make it reliable. Just replace the chain every 30-40k
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure Aaron has owned a vehicle long enough for "reliability" to come into play. Very Happy
_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
fiveoformula
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: OR

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not buy an old clean extended cab S10 with a bad motor or a trans and just put your fancy 60 degree V6 in it? Then it would be cool, get decent mileage and not be gutless like my ranger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought about that, but I don't want another engine swap project right away. I already have two half-finished project vehicles sitting here. Laughing

On the Mazda front I dropped for four KYB's and a set of leaf bushings off RockAuto. I am going to try to find a set of rear leaves at the yard for it as mine are sacked badly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
91RSVert
Member


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 2736
Location: AR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4link n bag it Rock on!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Bought some tires today. That helped a bit. Sears brand tires are not all they're cracked up to be. Razz

New ones are Toyo Ultra. Nothing to write home about, but not bad.

Bought a set of rear leaf springs. Pick those up tomorrow.

Also ordered some Wagner pads from RockAuto as the fronts are definitely shot. Probably needs rear shoes as well, but one thing at a time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RSFreak
The other "John"


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2946
Location: Renton

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Sears brand tires are not all they're cracked up to be. Razz



Are they actually cracked up to be anything?!?! Laughing

Reminds me of a line from Christmas Story: "My dad's spare tires were only tires in the academic sense. They were round and had once been made of rubber." Very Happy

_________________
'86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Camino.......If you can by this

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/3194859385.html

For what they are asking I know you can find a beater for about a grand.

Use this to find one dirt cheap.
http://www.allcraigslist.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"


Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 3873
Location: stumptown

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked the old 1990 Ford Ranger I used to have. Did kind of have squishy suspension, so far the Best "little truck" I've driven has been a 1989 2WD Toyota PU. Logged 320,000 miles, but still runs and handles great (although it does have manual steering). Paint isn't so pretty, and has the typical dents and dings for a 23 year old truck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what kind of economy did you see from the 22R?

In my experience that has always been the downfall of the Toyota trucks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a 4BT Cummins swap into whatever truck you want.

(got to admit that's a good idea)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irony.

Back when I owned my F-150 I was considering putting a 4BT in it to replace the horrible SBF. That idea lead me down the path that ended with my turbo 6.9L diesel truck. The truck which is inefficient for a hundred miles of daily empty freeway driving, leading me to buy a smaller truck for non-towing purposes which leads us back to the 4BT. Laughing

While I agree that it is a good idea, the issue is that a running 4BT starts at about two grand and goes North from there. Add on to that the truck freight to have it shipped out here, the cost of a transmission to hold it, and the modifications to the truck to support the weight.

Honestly, if I was going to put a diesel in a truck for driving and not hauling I would consider a Mercedes 5cyl before anything else. Dead reliable, plenty of parts, came with a good manual transmission, and is known to fit in a Mazda and other small trucks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive the Camaro. It's going to get like 30 mpg.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the factory injectors and no turbo it would get about that on the freeway. I am not holding out for much economy with 60# injectors. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there some kind of rare Toyota diesel that was sold in the US, or is that my imagination?

I'm running out of ideas, man. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group