| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:53 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Alphius wrote: | | I bet you haven't even thought of it. |
Oh I did think of it. I thought about several utilities and wagons. I was thinking about a 2wd Blazer, a 'Roo wagon, and maybe even a Benz diesel wagon.
My main problem with all those is that I hate open-cab vehicles. They take longer to warm up in the winter, you smell all the sh*t you carry around, can't hose house the back of them. They're just a lot of trouble for a guy like me.
I've also been thinking about replacing the sacked-out suspension components on the Mazder and either rebuilding the F2 or finding something else to swap into it. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
fiveoformula Member

Joined: 08 Aug 2007 Posts: 1799 Location: OR
1988 Pontiac Formula
|
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:00 pm Post subject: |
|
|
The only S10 I would get (for a daily) is one with a 4.3 in either first or second gen. Don't confuse the crap 2.2 cavalier motor that came in a later S10 as an ecotec. Its not, the real ecotec is a really good engine with minimal problems. That 2.2 in the S10 is more on par with the old iron duke. _________________
'88 FORMULA |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:37 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| fiveoformula wrote: | | The only S10 I would get (for a daily) is one with a 4.3 in either first or second gen. Don't confuse the crap 2.2 cavalier motor that came in a later S10 as an ecotec. Its not, the real ecotec is a really good engine with minimal problems. That 2.2 in the S10 is more on par with the old iron duke. |
I think I'd do a 3.4/3.5 setup before a 4.3 _________________
| Quote: | | Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth. |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
fiveoformula Member

Joined: 08 Aug 2007 Posts: 1799 Location: OR
1988 Pontiac Formula
|
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:06 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Really? I suppose for fuel economies sake that makes sense but if you were to just go out and buy a pickup, the 4.3 is super reliable, seen plenty up around 250k, good low end power. If you did have time to slap together and swap in a 3.4hybrid just to get the extra MPG then I could see it. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:43 am Post subject: |
|
|
The only benefit of the 4.3L is longevity. Everything else about it is inferior to a good 60* motor.
I built an S10 with a 3.1 and it was a good all-around truck. The body and wiring was the typical cheap, poorly designed GM clusterf**k but the drivetrain was rock solid. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
91RSVert Member
Joined: 16 May 2007 Posts: 2736 Location: AR
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 am Post subject: |
|
|
IMO, hes looking for something fairly reliable. My experience with hybrid motors is not reliable.
You could do the 3.4 and make it reliable. Just replace the chain every 30-40k |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:55 am Post subject: |
|
|
I'm not quite sure Aaron has owned a vehicle long enough for "reliability" to come into play.  _________________
| Quote: | | Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth. |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
fiveoformula Member

Joined: 08 Aug 2007 Posts: 1799 Location: OR
1988 Pontiac Formula
|
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:42 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Why not buy an old clean extended cab S10 with a bad motor or a trans and just put your fancy 60 degree V6 in it? Then it would be cool, get decent mileage and not be gutless like my ranger. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:49 am Post subject: |
|
|
I had thought about that, but I don't want another engine swap project right away. I already have two half-finished project vehicles sitting here.
On the Mazda front I dropped for four KYB's and a set of leaf bushings off RockAuto. I am going to try to find a set of rear leaves at the yard for it as mine are sacked badly. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
91RSVert Member
Joined: 16 May 2007 Posts: 2736 Location: AR
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:04 pm Post subject: |
|
|
4link n bag it  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:51 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Bought some tires today. That helped a bit. Sears brand tires are not all they're cracked up to be.
New ones are Toyo Ultra. Nothing to write home about, but not bad.
Bought a set of rear leaf springs. Pick those up tomorrow.
Also ordered some Wagner pads from RockAuto as the fronts are definitely shot. Probably needs rear shoes as well, but one thing at a time. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
RSFreak The other "John"

Joined: 23 Jan 2004 Posts: 2946 Location: Renton
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 am Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | Sears brand tires are not all they're cracked up to be.
|
Are they actually cracked up to be anything?!?!
Reminds me of a line from Christmas Story: "My dad's spare tires were only tires in the academic sense. They were round and had once been made of rubber."  _________________ '86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
IROCDave Member
Joined: 16 Jan 2010 Posts: 957 Location: Snohomish WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Quasi-Traction "I have petals"

Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 3873 Location: stumptown
1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
|
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:51 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I actually liked the old 1990 Ford Ranger I used to have. Did kind of have squishy suspension, so far the Best "little truck" I've driven has been a 1989 2WD Toyota PU. Logged 320,000 miles, but still runs and handles great (although it does have manual steering). Paint isn't so pretty, and has the typical dents and dings for a 23 year old truck. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:15 am Post subject: |
|
|
But what kind of economy did you see from the 22R?
In my experience that has always been the downfall of the Toyota trucks. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:06 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Do a 4BT Cummins swap into whatever truck you want.
(got to admit that's a good idea) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:26 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Irony.
Back when I owned my F-150 I was considering putting a 4BT in it to replace the horrible SBF. That idea lead me down the path that ended with my turbo 6.9L diesel truck. The truck which is inefficient for a hundred miles of daily empty freeway driving, leading me to buy a smaller truck for non-towing purposes which leads us back to the 4BT.
While I agree that it is a good idea, the issue is that a running 4BT starts at about two grand and goes North from there. Add on to that the truck freight to have it shipped out here, the cost of a transmission to hold it, and the modifications to the truck to support the weight.
Honestly, if I was going to put a diesel in a truck for driving and not hauling I would consider a Mercedes 5cyl before anything else. Dead reliable, plenty of parts, came with a good manual transmission, and is known to fit in a Mazda and other small trucks. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:33 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Drive the Camaro. It's going to get like 30 mpg. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:38 pm Post subject: |
|
|
With the factory injectors and no turbo it would get about that on the freeway. I am not holding out for much economy with 60# injectors.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:56 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Isn't there some kind of rare Toyota diesel that was sold in the US, or is that my imagination?
I'm running out of ideas, man.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|