Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey look... A wall
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Hey look... A wall Reply with quote

So I have some bad news. I got in an accident on Saturday night while I was on my way home. I was on I-5 in Portland, I was traveling along in the right hand lane meanwhile a car was traveling down the onramp at no where near the speed limit (est 40mph), didn't think much of it as I was going to pass before he even had to merge. Well he ended up attempting to merge without a turn signal and well before his/her lane ended. I swerved left to avoid hitting him and I ended up losing the ass end when I tried to straighten out in the other lane, fishtailed and ended up spin 360* counterclockwise, I almost saved it once I was facing forward again but I over rotated too much when the rear tires got traction which whipped the front end over to the right and smacked the wall pretty hard with the right front corner.

Once all was said and done the other motorist was nowhere in sight. I managed to limp the car off the highway and into the nearest parking lot where I could assess the damage. The right front wheel was rubbing something like crazy and the car would barely even move straight. Once I got out and looked at it I saw that the FT wheel had like -20* camber. I realized that the car was nowhere near drivable so I called a friend and got a ride home, I was unscathed but tired, pissed and didn't want to deal with trying to get a tow late at night. So I came back the next morning and had it towed to my shop at my parents place.

I've had a chance to take a quick look at it and heres what ive found so far:
-The spindle snapped in half
-brake caliper mounting ear broke off
-strut is bent and damaged
-strut mount is bent
-tie rod end bent
-brake line rubbed through
-sway bar end link bent
-tire shredded
-wheel bent
-fender mangled
-bumper cover damaged
Front lip damaged

I'm going to start tearing into it tomorrow morning, I want my car back on the road quickly. It's the middle of summer and I still have more car shows to attend! Lol. Luckily I have a lot of spare parts from my '85 still which include:

-spindle
-brake caliper
-A-arm
-outer tie rod end
-brake line

I already have the founders strut mounts and extended ball joints, I also still have my SS wheels so that just leaves me needing to get a new strut, bumper cover and fender. I'll be ordering those very soon. I'm really praying that the strut tower didn't get tweaked seeing as how bent the strut mount is. But all in all things could have ended much worse.

Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

Hope you get it fixed soon, dude. I got a little scared when I saw that request for parts!

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Hielor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, that sucks Sad

Supports something else I've read, though (after a local GTO ended up in a median trying to dodge someone who changed lanes improperly)--if someone else does something stupid, it's better to let them hit you if you can't dodge without causing damage to your own car. If they end up at fault, they're on the hook for fixes, but if you avoid an accident with them and end up causing damage on your own, then it's all you.

The other guy was probably completely oblivious and doesn't know that they basically just caused an accident because you tried to avoid their inattentive ass...
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I though about that after the fact too, should have just hit him, that way I could at least have insurance cover the damage. Oh well.
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that man. I don't have any of those parts but will keep eyes/ears open.

I am sure you will have her back up in show form in no time.

Glad you are OK!

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBL_TKE wrote:
should have just hit him, that way I could at least have insurance cover the damage.

Something my old man told me from when I was very young. Even if they hit you and drive off you still get paid off your UIM coverage.

Does the a-arm look tweaked at all?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sickening. Sorry about your troubles.

My insurance pays if I run the car into something all by myself. Doesn't yours?
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:

Only if he has comprehensive.

With that age of driver and a car that old it's usually cheaper to just fix it or scrap it than pay the exorbitant premiums.

Also, if he wanted any of the non-stock parts covered he would have to claim them and then pay even more.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't carry comp or collision on my Camaro either. As a result, I pay about $150 for 6 months of insurance, so with the $100+ per month I save I buy nice things and bank on paying for stupid accidents myself. It's an old car, that's the smart move.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be getting a special policy on my Firebird where I tell them what valuation I want on it and they write it up. Hardly costs anything because it's not driven every day.

When getting insurance I'm sure it does help to look pudgy and slow with slightly receding hair line and a face expressing wisdom beyond your years, and have a spotless driving record.
Hielor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
That's sickening. Sorry about your troubles.

Sure, but then it's an at-fault accident, which can affect your rates, whereas if you just let the other person hit you, they pay for it and your rates are unaffected.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn advertising tracker. After viewing this thread a few times now I'm getting car insurance adds at Yahoo mail.

How do I get rid of that tracker software on a Mac?
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I only carry liability on this car right now. Mostly because with how old these cars are and the low value of them it doesn't make sense for me to have full coverage. Parts are cheap, and I would do all the wrenching myself. When the time comes when this car has some serious money into it and is a weekend car, I will have the car appraised with all the aftermarket parts but have a special interest policy so it'll still end up being pretty cheap.

But I'm going to try and hustle and get this thing back in shape. There's several shows and events this month that I don't want to miss. While I'm at it I think I'm going to shave the antenna mount and have the fender rolled before paint.

I'm honestly surprised that the spindle snapped like that. It's even the thickest part of it. I figured a ball joint or wheel would break before the spindle. Another thing that has me worried is how bad the strut mount bent upwards. My A-arm will bottom out before the strut does so where did that force come from? Its possible that the A-arm bent upwards, i guess its also possibly the when the spindle snapped it allowed the strut to be pushed upwards by the force of the wheel/tire itself. I just really hope my strut tower isn't tweaked. It would make a good excuse to tub my front fenders but I don't want any downtime with this car.

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
I'll be getting a special policy on my Firebird where I tell them what valuation I want on it and they write it up. Hardly costs anything because it's not driven every day.

When getting insurance I'm sure it does help to look pudgy and slow with slightly receding hair line and a face expressing wisdom beyond your years, and have a spotless driving record.

I was exploring the option of insuring my Camaro with Hagerty agreed-value which would have been the same price as it is now ($290/yr) but with $100 deductible comp and collision and full aftermarket parts replacement. Even tool replacement was covered for tools lost or stolen that you use to maintain the car. However, they required that my car be garaged when not driven in a locked building and I only have a carport, so I couldn't do it.

Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! that truly sucks dude. That car was in such gorgeous shape, hopefully it'll get back to that point soon. Glad to hear that you're alright. Only been in 2 accidents in my whole driving career. Both times due to inattentive driver (one of those times, I was the inattentive driver).
Richster
Magic Fingers

1983 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow bud, that makes me Ill, so sorry! No wonder I didn't hear from you, hang in there man!

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're alright! I'm sure you'll be back on the road in no time.

1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GF's comment upon seeing the pics, "Wow, now it looks like all the other thirdgens." Yeah, shes mean! Razz
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my new work schedule it's making it very difficult to make time to work on the car, but I did manage to get all the suspension components off from the right front. Painted the new spindle and A-arm. I'm just waiting for the new strut to arrive then I can start putting it all back together and get it drivable. As far as bodywork goes, I still need to find a fender and bumper cover. I have also been thinking about installing some TA fender vents in my fenders, if anyone has a pair of the vents let me know.
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got all the new suspension components on. Had to order a new strut and used my a-arms, spindles and caliper from the '85. I searched at every parts store for a dust boot that will fit these extended ball joints and had no luck. I tried some from a '63 Imperial like Ian had suggested but they are really loose around the shank. So I ended up putting everything together without any boots. I ordered a pair from Howe Racing so I'll just pull the Spindles and throw those on when they get here.

Apparently I broke one of my brake caliper bolts during the accident so that's the only thing holding me up from finishing everything up.

These Founders strut mounts offer tons of additional adjustment. Too much in fact. Apparently I can't run the maximum caster as the strut will make contact with the wheel well on the upward stroke. I also now have to run some sort of bump stop. This is due to the extended ball joints, they lower the car by raising the spindle, taking away 1" from the struts compression stroke. So if anyone has a pair of the stock bump stops I'll gladly take them off your hands!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: