Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new project!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"


Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 3873
Location: stumptown

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, if you have scored an HEI, I can clip the ends off my Batt and tach wires before I send the 86 to the JY. How much length do you think you'll need to splice?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fiveoformula
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: OR

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I guess that makes sense GM would cheap out and not use the gauge for the other tanks... how many wires are there going to the gauge sender? Is there access to it behind the seat?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a single wire. Does your seat fold? most dont. If it doesnt you'll need to pull the seat to get to it.

It's not gm cheaping out either. GM only included the tank in the cab. The other tanks are dealer installed. You'll run into all kinds of different brands of side tanks and doors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
fiveoformula
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: OR

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quasi-Traction wrote:
Derek, if you have scored an HEI, I can clip the ends off my Batt and tach wires before I send the 86 to the JY. How much length do you think you'll need to splice?

Ah I'm not sure, I haven't picked it up yet, are they a special connector?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fiveoformula
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: OR

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
Just a single wire. Does your seat fold? most dont. If it doesnt you'll need to pull the seat to get to it.

It's not gm cheaping out either. GM only included the tank in the cab. The other tanks are dealer installed. You'll run into all kinds of different brands of side tanks and doors.

Looks like the seat doesn't fold but atleast its only 4 bolts. Is that one wire a ground? That must be open between the gauge and the sender somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. grounding it will make it move one direction and open will make it move the other. Most likely cause is the sending unit or perhaps a fuse. If its a sending unit I may have one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
fiveoformula
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: OR

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found a carb to use. Since the 2bbl now does nothing but flood itself... its a 600cfm double pumper. I know its not totally the best for a truck application but well see how it works.. it also came with an edelbrock torker manifold... don't think ill bother using that, I'm on the look out for a performer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another cheap option for a good aluminum manifold is the 80s stock lg4 manifolds. They're nearly the same as a regular performer. Just put an EGR block off plate on.

However.. wont work for your holley without adapter.. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
fiveoformula
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: OR

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that might be an idea, chris just offered up an old LG4 manifold! I actually might throw that torker on there with the holley and see how it goes. Its just a stock 400 but seems pretty strong! No chevy salute or any noises or anything, other than the gaping hole in what might be the original muffler.. I also found a good deal on some decent used headman headers for it so hopefully it'll be running and sounding good soon!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"


Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 3873
Location: stumptown

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked the float on the old 2G Rochester? sometimes the needle that the float pivots on can come out, and that causes the thing to choke itself off, as it allows too much fuel to enter the bowl, and it coughs gas out of the vent tube.

Not that it matters much, since you have a holley now....but just something simple that could solve the problem with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"


Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 3873
Location: stumptown

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for the HEI, Its just basic "weatherpack" single blade clips. You'll probably need to use the old points coil wire and splice in the "batt" clip for the Distributor. Your truck probably doesn't have a tach, so you might not need the second wire, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT use the points wire.. You need to trace that wire back until the wiring bulkhead and replace it from that point. The points wire is a resistor wire and will burn up trying to power an HEI.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
The points wire is a resistor wire


I'm with stupid

You can't mix and match when going from one to the other. That's how I cooked that Pertronix. The wire may be marked as a resistance wire.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've allready been there done that.. It works for a short time then the wire gets hot and drops the voltage.. truck quits etc..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"


Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 3873
Location: stumptown

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Good info there guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fiveoformula
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: OR

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that's good to know. It shouldn't be to hard to trace back right? Or any key-on power source should work right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fiveoformula
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: OR

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had the truck running nice and smooth yesterday. I say "had" because I had just adjusted the floats and the idle smoothed out, then I gave the throttle a quick snap and it popped thru the carb. Instantly died and now runs like crap. Probably blew out the power valve is what everyone keeps saying. Lol
_________________


'88 FORMULA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"


Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 3873
Location: stumptown

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like PV, but some of the later holley's had a modification to save the powervalve from blowing on a hard backfire. Don't know how old yours is.

might also check if its the standard 6.5hg Power Valve. If its shot you might want to experiment with a couple different vaccum levels to see what gives ya the best results. (IIRC, I changed mine to a 5.5hg)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general if you have low idle vacuum (i.e. choppy cam) you need to lower your PV, and if you have high idle vacuum (stock cam) you want a higher one. With the autotragic you will want to base this off of your in-gear idle vacuum.

Intake backfire when you snap the throttle on a cold engine is a sign of a pump shot not working properly. Make sure the cam and lever are adjusted properly and the shooters have a nice stream. With the 400 you may want bigger shooters. Those carbs are often tuned for a 302/305.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"


Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 3873
Location: stumptown

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Intake backfire when you snap the throttle on a cold engine is a sign of a pump shot not working properly. Make sure the cam and lever are adjusted properly


Also, one thing to note is that with a smaller numerical squirter, your pump-shot will be longer, with a higher number it will be shorter. I know the 4776-x I was using on my engine, had dual #25's which I changed to the "nozzle type" #28's. If you rolled into the throttle from a dead stop, no problem, if you drilled it from a dead stop, you got a slight bog (going from pump shot, to WOT)

again, dude, if you wanna fiddle around with it, I got 90% of a holley trick-kit sitting on a shelf.

aaron, I would think even with a fairly mild 400sbc, he'd be pretty okay with the #25 or even #28 squirters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group