 |
Cascade Crew Message Forums
|
| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:32 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I don't know. They are not known for good tunes. They just have a really cool interface. There is one turner for 7.3L that takes an Edge and hacks it with his own tune. I think he worked for Edge at one time and that's why he knows how to do it. Hungry Performance is the name coming to mind?
DP Tuner is hands down the best. No argument about it. The engine is actually smooth when he's done with it. And you know how much those suckers shake!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:55 pm Post subject: |
|
|
So I really hate my wife's 2007 Subaru Forester. It is a POS. I know most aren't but mine is and it will always be because it's the kind of problems nobody can ever figure out.
- Engine misfires randomly and nearly dies. Scares the crap out of my wife. Unknown reason.
- Transmission has always been very confused since day one. Fluid changes are way too frequent. If I don't the fluid will burn.
- Worst cruise control EVER!!!!! Will not stop accelerating on a downhill. Did an experiment one time and it went +20 mph over setting before I clicked it off. It's AWD... the car slows down fast when it coasts.
- Worst climate control EVER!!!! Finally got the dealer to admit it has +/- 4 degree swing. That's 8 freaking degrees! Paid for climate control and we just manually set temperature.
- Blows headlight bulbs. 3rd set of bulbs in 80K miles.
- In the first hour I owned the car I opened the storage box on the top of the dash and the lid dug into the black dash leaving a white mark. They actually made the lid so it digs into the dash pad.
- Front window got a rock crack within first 2 days of new. Now you think to yourself, not Subaru's fault. Wrong. I have never had a vehicle that got so many cracks in the windshield. Every time a rock hits it there is a new crack. I don't even bother replacing the window any more. I have taken at least 100 rocks in the Jeep and never one crack or ding in the window.
- Hood won't latch unless you slam it down with all your might. Maybe it's because I've had the hood up so much.
I have finally convinced my wife we should replace it before too long. I'm sick and tired of looking under the hood and pulling up misfire codes. I want my wife to have AWD or 4WD. Just don't want to have to worry about her no matter where she is or what is the weather. So how does this relate to diesel? 30 minutes from my house.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648&item=290649329428&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_3524wt_1167
Might go look at it. A diesel Cherokee is very rare and I've seen Diesel Power magazine modify one to the tune of about 30 mpg freeway. And it has the Quadradrive II which is quite possibly the best 4WD system ever put in a factory vehicle aside from having lockers front and rear. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 pm Post subject: |
|
|
The 'Roo: Has it been hit before? If so is there a chance that the bodyshop didn't hook up a harness or ground strap correctly? That would account for every issue you listed.
The Heep: Are these new MB engines comparable to the old OM engines that will do a million miles? The issue I see with it is repair cost if it doesn't turn out to be reliable. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:18 pm Post subject: |
|
|
The Subaru has been hit but it already had quite a few miles and all these problems existed prior. I've also suspected loose ground somewhere, but when I read forums the misfire thing is not uncommon and I've never seen anybody solve it yet. But then again, people on Subaru forum aren't exactly DIY fixers. They make me look like Goss' Garage.
The diesel is same as in the Mercedes E-class (I think). I'm not sure what is the reputation. I do know know that Mercedes seriously over designed cars in the past and that kind of durability will never be seen again. Then they cheapened up too far. And then they tried to find the right balance again. This engine is from the point in time after they improved reliability again and before emissions controls became a serious problem in and of itself.
So my memory might be bad. I found the Diesel Power article and they totally screwed up their Cherokee with 4" lift and tires and managed a whopping 20 MPG. I know I have a different article somewhere. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum
|
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
|