| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:26 am Post subject: |
|
|
| 83Z28BlackBetty wrote: | Enough of this crazy talk of 5 cylinder headers and italian pasta...
I've just about finished the sensor wiring harness. All that's left is to set up the external connections, fuel pump relay, fan relays, 12v ign, and grounds.
A few questions,
Does a t56 use a park neutral switch? Or can I just use the clutch switch?
I'm Using the pcm to control the ac clutch relay, if I ignore the evap temp sensor, and the refridgerant pressure sensor will I run into problems? Or should i leave the pcm out of the ac loop, except for the ac clutch status wire?
There is a brake switch signal wire on my diagrams that I think is related to tcc, I shouldn't need it for a t56 right?
-jake
Ps, just scored a trick flow intake elbow off craig's list to replace the old ripped rubber boot. Score! |
The clutch switch goes into the heavy side starter solenoid relay wires. You should be able to jumper your park/neutral switch wires from the stock shifter.
The pod on the side of the shift tower is reverse lock out. Tie that into your brake light switch.
PCM needs to know when AC is on to fuel properly to idle right with the extra load. Either everything needs to be on the PCM side or just a signal, whatever the PCM wants, give it.
Those switches are Low and high pressure. If you don't have them, and you run out of freon, you'll burn your compressor up. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
83Z28BlackBetty Bam-Ba-Lam

Joined: 13 Mar 2006 Posts: 2083 Location: Aloha
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:50 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I know about the low pressure switch on the dryer, and the high pressure switch, but am I ok to ignore the evaporator core temp switch?
So the brake signal to the pcm would control reverse lockout? Or should I bypass pcm and wire reverse lockout just through brake switch.?
More questions to follow...
-jake |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:30 am Post subject: |
|
|
Oh yeah. LO Didn't even dawn on me. Not sure how/when the PCM runs that. I was going old school t56 swap in. Go with the wiring in the PCM schematic.
Do not ignore the frost switch. That's another thing to protect the system. It's not just for temp, it's that if the evap gets too cold, freon wont flow, and again you'll burn up th compressor or damage the evap. So it shuts the compressor off to let the evap unfreeze. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
83Z28BlackBetty Bam-Ba-Lam

Joined: 13 Mar 2006 Posts: 2083 Location: Aloha
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:30 am Post subject: |
|
|
The harness is done! SO EXCITED! this is a big milestone for me, i've repinned the pcm connectors and triple checked to make sure they are all correct. Now all i have to do is finalize the external connections.
I was able to re-bend the stock LT1 power steering hose to fit. I have it wrapped around the front of the serpentine belt and goes straight across to the steering gear.
Here is a picture of the trickflow intake elbow and the rest of the intake mocked up.
Wiring harness is in the car now, pcm will be routed through the bulkhead connector on the passenger side and sit in the car. I've also included some pics of my engine fuse/relay box. All engine related fuses and relays are in that box to keep it all organized. I used the original coil wire to trigger a main relay that powers up the rest of the fuse block. Main relay gets power from the starter through a fuse-able link.
All that's left is to bleed the clutch, hook up coolant lines, ground wires, power steering return lines, have the pcm reprogrammed and FIRE IT UP!
~JAKE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:07 pm Post subject: |
|
|
awwwww yeah! _________________
| Quote: | | Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth. |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
83Z28BlackBetty Bam-Ba-Lam

Joined: 13 Mar 2006 Posts: 2083 Location: Aloha
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:08 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Started to get the interior out back together. Paul's red shifter boot looks right at home with the 6 speed shifter plate.
Also found a set of radiator hoses that will work. I finished the ground wires and the brake pedal sensor switch. So that pretty much wraps up the bulk of the wiring! I found a place to mount the power steering reservoir, above the battery asking the front of the engine bay. Nice and out of the way.
The one pic I took today.
-jake _________________ 1983 Z-28 5.7 LT1, T56, Headman headers, BW 9 Bolt Posi Disc, WS6 suspension
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
83Z28BlackBetty Bam-Ba-Lam

Joined: 13 Mar 2006 Posts: 2083 Location: Aloha
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:00 am Post subject: |
|
|
I just ordered my new pcm today! It should be here hopefully this weekend, then its time! Its getting tuned by PCM for less since i can't tune OBD2... The EGR, AIR, Rear O2, and VATS will all be removed, also it will also be calibrated for my rear gears and tire size.
I also tested my tpi fuel pump today and found it working perfectly. I shorted the relay on and tested fuel pressure and it holds at a steady 45psi with no manifold vacuum. i sucked on the vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator to simulate idle, and it dropped to around 35 just as it should.
~JAKE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
83Z28BlackBetty Bam-Ba-Lam

Joined: 13 Mar 2006 Posts: 2083 Location: Aloha
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:02 pm Post subject: |
|
|
ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAA
I just fired it today! Its running pretty rough and idling really high. I'm sure i have a few vacuum leaks since i haven't properly hooked up the vacuum lines or adjusted the throttle body idle screw. I just wanted to share my happy news!
~JAKE  _________________ 1983 Z-28 5.7 LT1, T56, Headman headers, BW 9 Bolt Posi Disc, WS6 suspension
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Schultzy89GTA M.R.A. (11sec Club)

Joined: 08 Jan 2004 Posts: 4417 Location: Gresham, OR
1989 Pontiac GTA
|
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:08 pm Post subject: |
|
|
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:09 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Oh no, I lost.
Now my only hope is to be much much faster.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Al Hasse Member

Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 4379 Location: Bremerton, WA
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:24 pm Post subject: |
|
|
That's awesome, Jake  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:38 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | Oh no, I lost.
Now my only hope is to be much much faster.  |
Easy as pie.  _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
83Z28BlackBetty Bam-Ba-Lam

Joined: 13 Mar 2006 Posts: 2083 Location: Aloha
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:10 pm Post subject: |
|
|
HAHAHA but you will have to bring it down here to prove it.
Thanks for the encouraging words everyone, I can't say how happy i was when that thing came to life today.
~JAKE _________________ 1983 Z-28 5.7 LT1, T56, Headman headers, BW 9 Bolt Posi Disc, WS6 suspension
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Al Hasse Member

Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 4379 Location: Bremerton, WA
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:57 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| 83Z28BlackBetty wrote: | | I can't say how happy i was when that thing came to life today. |
I know the feeling  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:23 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Dude! Fired up first try??? That's awesome! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
83Z28BlackBetty Bam-Ba-Lam

Joined: 13 Mar 2006 Posts: 2083 Location: Aloha
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:11 am Post subject: |
|
|
Well its been a frustrating few weeks. The car would run, but it idled at about 2000 rpm and wouldn't idle down. the thing didn't like reving and ran super rough. So a new maf and iac later it still wasn't running right! ARG!!!!!
I got so frustrated with the project i put it on hold for a week or so and didnt touch it...
until yesterday.
I hooked up a smoke machine used to find emission leaks to the intake and found i made the biggest n00b mistake of them all. There was a half inch pipe plug hole in the front of the intake below the throttle body just sucking in raw unmetered air. HAHHAHA! about 3 min of work later, the car idled just as it should and revved nicely through the entire rpm band!
So i got to take her for the first test drive last night, and the verdict is....
HOLY CRAPOLA! this car is pretty freakin fast is all i have to say. I raced around with a good buddy last night who has a mild built 350tpi iroc and he hung out on my rear bumper all night. from a dig, from a roll, this thing flat out PULLS!
I'm like a kid on christmas!
~JAKE _________________ 1983 Z-28 5.7 LT1, T56, Headman headers, BW 9 Bolt Posi Disc, WS6 suspension
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:29 am Post subject: |
|
|
Nice Job Jake! _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:12 am Post subject: |
|
|
I did the same thing when I slapped my stealthram on the 305. Left the hole in the bottom of the plenum open. Fired it off and it revved to like 3k.
Congrats on getting to fixed though! _________________
| Quote: | | Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth. |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
rjmcgee The Hammer

Joined: 08 Jan 2004 Posts: 2328
|
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:18 am Post subject: |
|
|
| That's great Jake, you've built a sweet car there. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Schultzy89GTA M.R.A. (11sec Club)

Joined: 08 Jan 2004 Posts: 4417 Location: Gresham, OR
1989 Pontiac GTA
|
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:09 am Post subject: |
|
|
Awesome news... Congrats Jake!
-Schultzy |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|