Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hmmmm.... something look funny to you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be quick to blame the a-arm or crossmember, the second shot Jon posted seems to absolve them.

I'd be looking at the new rotors. They are the only thing that changed between the two cars.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it. The spacing from the spindle mounts to where the wheel sits on the rotor is much more than stock. The SSBC rotors are same as the rotors that came with it. It's just the way the brake kit is made - it's going to move the wheel on any car. My guess is if somebody ran rear offset wheels on all four corners then it wouldn't be very noticeable. I have large tires up front. I just can't afford any movement to the outside or it gets real goofy real quick.

So I guess the next question is, what is a brake kit that won't move the wheel at all?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
My guess is if somebody ran rear offset wheels on all four corners then it wouldn't be very noticeable.


Paul was running four front wheels on his car.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the root cause. Mystery is solved.

So back to the question earlier, what big brakes don't move the wheel? I need to find a solution and custom wheels are my least favorite idea.

I need good brakes but not Iansane brakes. Laughing My car will trap around 130 MPH in the quarter. It needs to be able to stop well. 4th gen wheels with spacers is not an option and aren't allowed at the track anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something just dawned on me. It doesn't matter what kit I have, if it requires the hub mod then it's going to be the same problem. If I want to keep my wheels then the only thing I can do is use stock style brakes on stock spindles. Correct?

This is a quandary for me. I like my rims. The stuff that's made today for 3rd gens is just friggin ugly. I can't use 4th gen rims without spacers up front and a whole new rear axle. One option is to do a 15" drag wheel setup and put some real meat in the back. It just so happens that my new front springs are drag launch.

Got to go think about this one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you modify a stock hub then the max the wheel moves out is the thickness of new motor mounting face. For me, that was a 1/4". What hubs did they use?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C4 HD uses a 1LE Hub.

IIRC C4 uses a stock hub.

I just put fronts on the rear and it all all evened out, made the car look and handle better. It really didn't seem to move out very far for me....

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
It's had mud flaps behind the front tires for 19 years. Every last picture I have ever posted has mud flaps. It's not by accident that there is not a single rock chip on the side of the car. And it's not by accident that you never noticed.

Look again....


It's called an attempt at humor, lighten up.

I know you know this, once you start adding aftermarket parts into the mix your basicly on your own. Nothing ever seems to be a direct fit and always leads to online searches, custom made somethings and more cash. It would be much easier to just walk into a dealer an buy the latest must have ride and make the monthly strokes. But... we have the 3rd gen gene.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that Wilwood makes a 11" and 12" kit that has zero offset from stock p/n 140-11012 and 140-11275, respectively. It uses stock hubs and you simply cut the ears off like 1LE. Not a terrible price either. This is good news.

blue89 wrote:
If you modify a stock hub then the max the wheel moves out is the thickness of new motor mounting face. For me, that was a 1/4". What hubs did they use?


Isn't there also a machining process that factors in that determines final depth? I don't know, I didn't study the hub mod yet. It's a question.


IROCDave wrote:
It's called an attempt at humor, lighten up.


Mine was too. I guess you don't think it's funny I've had mud flaps all this time. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
I found out that Wilwood makes a 11" and 12" kit that has zero offset from stock p/n 140-11012 and 140-11275, respectively. It uses stock hubs and you simply cut the ears off like 1LE. Not a terrible price either. This is good news.
Isn't there also a machining process that factors in that determines final depth? I don't know, I didn't study the hub mod yet. It's a question

The machining only deals with the diameter, not width.

QwkTrip wrote:
I found the root cause. Mystery is solved.

So back to the question earlier, what big brakes don't move the wheel? I need to find a solution and custom wheels are my least favorite idea.


I'd hardly say the mystery is solved... From your picture it looks like the wheel is getting moved out at least an inch or so. Like Travis said, it should only be moved out the thickness of the slip on rotor.

_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have Paul's old rotors, or did you toss them? Those new rotors are the only unknown variable here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, it's the 1LE Hub. It doesn't push it out as far as 4th gen stuff, but it's about a 3/8" difference, plus the 1/4" of the rotor thickness.

Makes it about a half inch. Never even dawned on me since I did it so long ago. Ed originally told me to use a stock hub. It put the rotor off by 3/8" in the carrier. I went back through my emails.

Sorry Jon, I guess this is my mistake for not informing you. I never had fitment problems and my stock wheels/tires tucked in the fenders just fine and looked good.

I think you're aftermarket wheels may be extrapolating the issue aswell.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy, didn't know there was that much of a difference in the hubs.


http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/posts/brake-board/237436-13-c4-hds-installed/1804348-post20.html

Jon, I think the kit you have is about the only one that moves the wheel that far out which is why everyone was confused. My c5/c6 kit only moved it out the thickness of the rotor along with pretty much every other kit I've seen. Sorry bud.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explanation makes sense. I think we solved it. Thanks for the help, guys!

I was disappointed to think that I have to sell it at a loss (new rotors and all) and start over with the unknown, but I think I'll put a 1/4" spacer on my stock setup and see where the tire lands. If it looks good then I'll probably convert my spindles and sell the 1LE spindles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nO NO NO NO.

Thirdgen spindles are thirdgen spindles.



1LE hub. Means the original rotor/hub assembly from a 1LE. The 1LE hub also uses slightly larger and stronger wheel bearings than the STD thirdgen stuff, but they both use the same spindle.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Okay.

I think the first thing for me to do is read up on how the conversion works. Very Happy I have a friend at work with a machine shop in his garage. That should be the easy part and not cost anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you had no choice. The C4 HD system must use 1LE hubs.

http://www.lukeskaff.com/car/brakes/hub.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool writeup. Wasn't around when I did it LOL
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
redlava
Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 448
Location: Bremerton

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you maybe have the 5/8" milled off the back side of the two front rims?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that would be suicide.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group